Register to reply

Complex Pulley System (five different pulleys)

by mxyplizk
Tags: pulleys, ropes, weight
Share this thread:
mxyplizk
Jun9-09, 09:44 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
We are asked to find the force (F) needed to maintain equilibrium. I've drawn a picture; the red, blue, and green ropes are three separate ropes. Block W has a weight of 500 lbs, pulley A has a weight of 10 lbs, and pulley B has a weight of 20 lbs.

the picture:

2. Relevant equations
Can't think of any, it seems like this problem just uses some common sense I am clearly lacking.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I figured out what the answer would be if you ignore the weights of the two pulleys. The tension would be 1/2 W on either side of pulley B, and therefore the tension pulling down on pulley A would be 1/2 W. Therefore, the tension on either side of pulley A would be 1/4 W, and since that rope is the rope to which the force F is applied, F=1/4 W=125 lbs. But I just don't know how to take into account the weights of the pulleys. Thanks for any and all help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
rl.bhat
Jun10-09, 01:10 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,433
There are three segments in the red rope. Total hanging weight is W+B. Find the tension in each segment. Apply the same thing to green rope.
mxyplizk
Jun10-09, 05:17 AM
P: 8
So tension in the red rope would equal 1/3(W+B), and then tension in the green rope would equal 1/3(A+1/3(W+B)) ?

rl.bhat
Jun10-09, 11:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,433
Complex Pulley System (five different pulleys)

Yes.

Register to reply