Average velocity of clock hand

In summary, the average velocity vector for the tip of the minute hand on a clock during the interval from the hour to 20 minutes past the hour can be calculated by using the formula v=r x ω, where r is the length of the minute hand (5.5 cm) and ω is the angular velocity (1/60 pi). This results in a velocity of 0.055 cm/min in the perpendicular direction of the minute hand, which can be further broken down into i-hat and j-hat components using the equations vx=-v*cos60 and vy=-v*sin60.
arperidot
The minute hand of a clock is 5.5 cm long. What is average velocity vector for the tip of the hand during the interval from the hour to 20 minutes past the hour, expressed in a coordinate system with they-axis toward noon and x-axis toward 3 o'clock? (Answer in terms of i-hat and j-hat components please)

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone here has helped me so much, so I will do the same. Ok you know that in 20 minutes, the minute hand moves 1/3 of the circle. Therefore it moves 120 degrees. Drawing a picture helps here. Now you have a isosceles triangle with sides 5.5 and vertex angle 120. Solve to get the other side and divide by 20 for an answer in cm/min.

Velocity is equal: v=r x ω
ω is the angular velocity of the minute hand. You know that the minute hand makes 2pi in one minute (60 seconds). So angular velocity is equal: ω= 2*pi/60 = 1/60 pi.
Velocity (perpendicular on the minute hand) is equal to :v=r x ω=0,055 * 1/60 pi.
Velocity in i & j is v= vxi + vyj.
vx=-v*cos60
vy=-v*sin60
(I have attached a photo)

Attachments

• clock.JPG
    clock.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 817

What is the average velocity of a clock hand?

The average velocity of a clock hand is the average rate of change of the position of the clock hand over a certain time period. It is measured in degrees per unit time, such as degrees per second or degrees per minute.

How is the average velocity of a clock hand calculated?

The average velocity of a clock hand is calculated by taking the total change in position of the clock hand and dividing it by the total time taken for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / time.

Does the average velocity of a clock hand change?

Yes, the average velocity of a clock hand can change depending on the specific time interval or range of motion being considered. This is because the velocity of a clock hand is constantly changing as it moves around the clock face.

What factors can affect the average velocity of a clock hand?

The average velocity of a clock hand can be affected by several factors including the length of the clock hand, any external forces or friction acting on the clock hand, and any changes in the rotational speed of the clock mechanism.

How is the average velocity of a clock hand related to its angular velocity?

The average velocity of a clock hand is directly proportional to its angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity of the clock hand increases, its average velocity also increases. Additionally, the direction of the average velocity is the same as the direction of the angular velocity.