Dipole interaction potential for mixed species

In summary, the problem of finding a solution for the dipole-dipole interaction between multiple replicas of two dipoles mixed together in the same volume is a complex one. Possible approaches include using an isotropic approximation, a Monte Carlo simulation, a mean field approach, or a numerical method such as finite elements or finite differences.
shehry1

Homework Statement

Not a homework question. I need the solution to this to model another problem.

We all know the potential for the electromagnetic dipole dipole interaction (e.g. see Jackson)

I want to know if there is a solution to the problem in which there are several replicas of the two dipoles all mixed up together (as in the case of polarized gases) and were occupying the same volume. e.g. we might have a 1000000 p1 and say 100000 p2 with p1 and p2 being the two dipole moments.

Obviously I would have to make some kind of an integration over all the particles. But this is where I am somewhat unsure. Since the two species are mixed up hence I do not think an integration over the entire volume would do the trick.

As an approximation - I am thinking about ignoring the shielding effect altogether

Homework Equations

Only the dipole interaction potentials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_dipole-dipole_interactionEDIT: To make matters simple the two gases are polarized parallel to each other

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a simple solution to this problem, but I do have a few ideas.1) Use an approximation where the dipole-dipole interaction is assumed to be isotropic. This means that we can assume all of the dipoles interact with each other with equal strength and that the integration can be done over the entire volume.2) Use a Monte Carlo method to simulate the system. This would involve randomly sampling the positions of the two types of dipoles and then calculating the dipole-dipole interactions between them.3) Use a mean field approach to approximate the dipole-dipole interactions. This would involve calculating the average field from all of the dipoles and then using this field to calculate the interactions.4) Use a numerical method such as finite elements or finite differences to solve the problem. This would involve discretizing the volume into small elements or points and then solving for the dipole-dipole interactions between them.

1. What is the dipole interaction potential for mixed species?

The dipole interaction potential for mixed species is a measure of the attractive or repulsive forces between two particles with different dipole moments. It is a function of the distance between the particles and the orientation of their dipole moments.

2. How is the dipole interaction potential calculated?

The dipole interaction potential is typically calculated using the Coulomb's law, which takes into account the magnitude of the dipole moments, the distance between the particles, and the dielectric constant of the medium.

3. What factors affect the dipole interaction potential?

The dipole interaction potential is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and orientation of the dipole moments of the particles, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the potential.

4. How does the dipole interaction potential affect the behavior of mixed species?

The dipole interaction potential plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of mixed species. It can influence the stability of mixtures, the phase behavior, and the kinetics of reactions. It also affects the thermodynamic properties of the system, such as the enthalpy and entropy of mixing.

5. Can the dipole interaction potential be modified or controlled?

Yes, the dipole interaction potential can be modified or controlled by changing the properties of the particles, such as their dipole moments or the dielectric constant of the medium. External electric or magnetic fields can also be used to alter the potential. Moreover, the potential can be tuned by adjusting the temperature and pressure of the system.