Wien Bridge Oscillator

by Omri
Tags: bridge, oscillator, wien
Share this thread:
Omri
Jun20-09, 02:29 PM
P: 35
Hi all,

I am doing a project on electronics about the Wien Bridge Oscillator. I learned about impedances and operational amplifiers and now I'm trying to understand the Wien Bridge circuit. I'm having some problems understanding it and I would be very happy to get some help. I still have not understood why oscillations occur in this circuit, what are the conditions for oscillations to occur, and how it works mathematically. I would be extremely thankful if anyone could instruct me or relate me to some good material about it.

EDIT: to be more specific, I've been trying to understand the analysis here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien_bridge_oscillator
If it gives some more specific reference... but I am totally willing to try other materials as well.

Thanks a lot,
Omri
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Omri
Jun21-09, 05:08 PM
Can anyone please help...?
negitron
Jun21-09, 05:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
Check out this informative Powerpoint presentation: http://jeremya.com/engr/engr332/Wien...Oscillator.ppt

Omri
Jun22-09, 09:53 AM
Wien Bridge Oscillator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the ratio should be:
[tex]\frac{V_O}{V_A} = \frac{Z_S + Z_P}{Z_P}[/tex]
and the presentation says it's inverse. In addition, I don't really understand how the resistors R1 and R2 affect the system - am I supposed to multiply the right hand side of the equation above by [tex]1 + \frac{R_2}{R_1}[/tex] to get it right?
The most significant question I have is, why does the circuit create sinusoidal voltage? I can get why oscillations will occur but I don't get why they should be sinusoidal.

Thanks for you help :-)

Register to reply