Register to reply

Smoking good for brain enhancement

by iron~orchid
Tags: brain, enhancement, smoking
Share this thread:
iron~orchid
Jun22-03, 09:47 PM
P: 73
Some years earlier I read a book about brain enhancment, and of the many substances tested, it seemed that intake of nicotine had been the only one that actually IMPROVED test scores. Caffiene, one of the other substances tested, was not useful in this respect nor were many of the things traditionally thought to "boost" brain performance. I remembered this study, and was curious.

Another thing I had noted over the years was that MANY psychics, if not ALL of them, smoke! Not only that, but the Native Americans used tobacco as a sort of "connector" to the psychic realms. For them, it was an act of communication with the Great Spirit. So, putting these ideas together, here are some questions and answers:

Q: (L) Is smoking detrimental to any of our bodies?
A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.
Q: (L) Does smoking enhance psychic abilities?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Is it true that the government program to stamp out smoking is inspired by controling the people?
A: Yes because they know it may heighten psychic abilities.
Q: (L) What is causing the lung cancer they are attributing to smoking?
A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
Q: (L) So, it only happens if you are convinced that it can and must happen?
A: Correct.
Q: (L) Is there any particular brand of cigarettes to smoke?
A: No.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Discovery reveals how bacteria distinguish harmful versus helpful viruses
14 detained trying to prevent Faroe Island dolphin hunt
Census: Orca population in Puget Sound falling
maximus
Jun22-03, 11:24 PM
P: 487
i can see how possibly nicoteen could help boost test scores, maybe. but those questions are loaded. by asking them you are forcing us to agree that psychic powers are actual. which (IMO, and i'm sure the majority here on the PFs) they are not. you are then stretching a possible truth (a boost of test scores) into a conspiracy theory about psychic abilities and governmental brainwashing.
iron~orchid
Jun23-03, 12:04 AM
Oh, that is sad a about the people of PFs.

russ_watters
Jun23-03, 12:32 AM
Mentor
P: 22,301
Smoking good for brain enhancement

Originally posted by iron~orchid
Oh, that is sad a about the people of PFs.
Yeah, there are some real wierdos here...
iron~orchid
Jun23-03, 12:45 AM
In time Scientists will discover that human beings have other senses, other abilities, but they will not be discovered yet for the scientist proceeds slowly and not always surely !

Is Zero your imaginary friend ?
Guybrush Threepwood
Jun23-03, 03:24 AM
P: 527
In time Scientists will discover that human beings have other senses, other abilities, but they will not be discovered yet for the scientist proceeds slowly and not always surely !
no offence but maybe we should wait for the scientists then.
I would like also to levitate from time to time (that would be cool if you are in the middle of a crowd at a concert and can't see the stage), or to pour a glass of cold drinks from the refrigerator with my mind power, but taht's life....
what do you mean not always surely?

LOL
plus
Jun23-03, 07:20 AM
P: 291
Smoking decreases blood flow, and weakens blood flow in the brain. Hence, smoking decreases intellect.

Also, there is a slight positive correlation between fitness and IQ, and since smoking decreases fitness, it can decrease IQ.
iron~orchid
Jun23-03, 07:49 AM
what do you mean not always surely?
We all know the stodgy fellow who really plods on through life always trying and trying, and trying far harder then anyone else would but he never gets anywhere, he is always in a state of confusion, of uncertainty. When we overtax our brains we generate an excess charge of electricity that actually inhibits further thought !
Guybrush Threepwood
Jun23-03, 08:11 AM
When we overtax our brains we generate an excess charge of electricity that actually inhibits further thought !
this never happened to me....
and I'm still confused about:
the scientist proceeds slowly and not always surely !
anyway to answer the subject I don't think smoking is good for something else than filling your lungs with chemicals and maybe as a way to relax for those who are really into it.
iron~orchid
Jun23-03, 08:44 AM
an excess charge of electricity that actually inhibits further thought !
maybe as a way to relax
BINGO !
Guybrush Threepwood
Jun23-03, 08:48 AM
so relaxing is the KEY to enhance psychic abilities???
iron~orchid
Jun23-03, 09:29 AM
You know, many of the greats -- the great inventors did not reach their greatest level of creativity by thinking about it. Many admit that their breakthrough came to consciousness on the edge of the dreamstate where their mind activity was slowed to such a point that they could invision or see the answer !

You cannot expect clairvoyance where the mind is closed and sealed, where the mind is a constant jangle of ill-connected thoughts.

No person would expect a garden to grow unless the seeds were planted in suitable ground. It would be most unusual for a beautiful rose to grow out of a granite rock.

Surely with quietude amongst the present-day clutter of irrelevant thoughts and the constant blare of radio and television, you would be able to have the advantage. The best way for a speedy unfolding or growth is to, first, ~~ relax.

Most people have no idea of what is meant by the word relax. They think if they slump in a chair that is good enough, but it is not. You cannot do better than to study a cat, see how the cat completely lets go. The cat will come in, turn around a few times, and then flop down into a more or less shapeless heap. The cat does not bother at all about wondering is a few inches of leg is showing, or if one is looking ungraceful; a cat comes in to rest, to relax, and relaxation is thus the only thought in the cat's mind. A cat can flop down and be instantly asleep.

Probably everyone knows that a cat can see things which humans cannot. That is because the cat's perceptions are higher up on the vibrational level.
maximus
Jun23-03, 12:01 PM
P: 487
there is not a single psychic claim which science has not been able to debunk. and when you concentrate really hard (no matter how hard) you can never make your thoughts be manifested. go on, try it. it is impossible.

Probably everyone knows that a cat can see things which humans cannot. That is because the cat's perceptions are higher up on the vibrational level.
no, cats have a higher awareness because they have a more developed brain in some key areas than we do.
FZ+
Jun23-03, 05:57 PM
P: 1,954
A: Not if mild. Not if mind is in right mode.
Pop quiz. Why is smoking bad?

1. Nicotine. The nicotine itself is a poison. It damages the brain. A side effect of this damage is the way it brings on addiction. Hence if you smoke for a while, obviously you would get better results while smoking since you will be suffering from withdrawal symptoms if you do not. The "relaxation" effect of this is due to this poisoning action on your brain cells.
2. Tar. Do you know what tar is? Sticky, nasty stuff. No amount of psychology will stop in collection in your lungs, and no amount will stop it causing cancer.

To think of it as to do with the mind is naive.

A: Yes.
True. Funny enough, you seem to be alot better at having psychic "visions" when you have just taken a hallucinogenic drug. Wonder if there's a connection...

A: Yes because they know it may heighten psychic abilities.
I somehow miss the accounts of floating carts etc in Medieval England...

A: Mental conditioning and subliminal programming to expect it.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Notice this. Almost everyone who died of lung cancer died because they did not stop, since they didn't think they would get lung cancer. If they expected lung cancer, they would have stopped already.

A: No.
This program is brought to you by Camel Cigarettes...

I suggest you actually know what you are talking about before you embarrase yourself again. For while you pretend to be open minded, you are in fact closed minded in the worst way, intentionally ignorant of the progress represented by science. It seems you prefer delusions to real work, a quick buck to proof and substance. Think hard about what you really want.

We all know the stodgy fellow who really plods on through life always trying and trying, and trying far harder then anyone else would but he never gets anywhere, he is always in a state of confusion, of uncertainty. When we overtax our brains we generate an excess charge of electricity that actually inhibits further thought !
No we don't. We know the fellow who created the world you live in, the computer you work on, most likely is the reason why you are alive today. Don't you even look out of the window occassionally to see where these stodgy fellows have wrought? What world are you really living in?

Many admit that their breakthrough came to consciousness on the edge of the dreamstate where their mind activity was slowed to such a point that they could invision or see the answer !
There are no breakthroughs. There are only hurdles, milestones and flashes of fortune, which are raised out of statistical insignificant from the multitude of failed "insights". For thousands of years, alchemists did not think. For thousands of years, mankind was at a standstill, nudged occasionally by random guesses. And then, only with the age of reason did we really start moving.

You cannot expect clairvoyance where the mind is closed and sealed, where the mind is a constant jangle of ill-connected thoughts.
As yours are. Real scientists do not need clairvoyance. Real scientists realise the ill-connectedness of the thoughts, and work to peice them together. You don't get anywhere by hiding from the jigsaw puzzle.

Surely with quietude amongst the present-day clutter of irrelevant thoughts and the constant blare of radio and television, you would be able to have the advantage. The best way for a speedy unfolding or growth is to, first, ~~ relax.
Real scientists do not seal themselves in ivory towers, but notice the real world, televisions and all. The televisions they made, as a matter of fact.

Show me the way to catopia, if you want to prove this higher intelligence of cats stuff. (In fact, in what we consider normal conditions, the cat's eyesight in particular is much inferior to ours. For instance, cat's can't see COLOUR)
russ_watters
Jun23-03, 09:19 PM
Mentor
P: 22,301
How would I know the difference?
For while you pretend to be open minded, you are in fact closed minded in the worst way, intentionally ignorant of the progress represented by science. It seems you prefer delusions to real work, a quick buck to proof and substance. Think hard about what you really want.
Bears repeating. One minor quibble: I don't think he's pretending. Some people just don't understand what "open minded" really means.
damgo
Jun24-03, 03:00 AM
P: n/a
Nicotine is a mild stimulant -- it mimics acetylcholine, an excitatory neurotransmitter, at some receptors (the aptly-names 'nicotinic' ones. )

It does increase brain performance; this is well-established and I have seen studies on it. (can dig them up if anyone really wants.) However, I saw something recently which found that long-term smoking had a negative effect. So it probably doesn't last.

I'm almost certain caffeine has similar positive effects, though. I *know* stronger psychostimulants, such as amphetamine, do.
Guybrush Threepwood
Jun24-03, 04:39 AM
Nicotine may be a brain-stimulant, but I'm sure tharet are better ways to use it than smoking....I mean don't make those around you use it too
and maybe there are other better stimulants...
Zero
Jun24-03, 12:24 PM
P: 1,509

I may or may not be imaginary...but I hope by showing Russ some truth, h I am being a friend to him.

He may see it differently, of course.

And, of course, I would NEVER suggest he start smoking to increase his psychic abilities.

Register to reply