Question on the ending of A Clockwork Orange

by physicist311
Tags: a clockwork orange, ending
Share this thread:
physicist311
Jul12-09, 03:22 PM
P: 12
Hi everybody,

Hope this counts as a brain teaser. Anyways I watched a movie called "A Clockwork Orange" by Stanley Kubrick the other day and was a bit confused at the ending. I was wondering why the doctors reversed Alex's treatment? I thought it might have something to do with giving the government a better image, but the reversal implies Alex could go back to being a criminal, and he could kill again, which would look bad for the government. So it seems the government is screwed either way. Any thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Jimmy Snyder
Jul12-09, 04:55 PM
P: 2,179
By all means, read the book. Get an edition with 21 chapters in it. Kubrick made the movie from an edition with only 20 chapters.

In my opinion, this thread should be moved to GD,
DaveC426913
Jul12-09, 11:29 PM
P: 15,319
A confusing ending? In a Stanley Kubrick film? That's just crazy talk!

I'm pretty sure A Clockwork Orange was commenting on the British Criminal system and how it was victim to politics. Alex was a pawn. He was in or out of the system - helped or punished - depending what what suited the needs of those in power or those looking to acquire power. That was the message of the film. Remember how that politician (can't remember who it was now) was literally spoon-feeding Alex in his bed? Alex knew he was a pawn, and knew he could make it work for him.

Register to reply