Determining stability of min phase system using GM and PM

In summary, gain margin is a measure of how much gain you can add to a feedback system before it becomes unstable.
HasuChObe
Alright, there's something I don't understand. The book says that the gain margin and phase margin must be non-negative for a minimum phase system to be stable. But the definition of a minimum phase system is one without right half plane poles or zeroes. Doesn't that inherently make it stable? Looking for a good explanation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your definition of minimum phase system is not correct:

"[A] system is said to be minimum-phase if the system and its inverse are causal and stable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_phase

So the definition is more restrictive than just stable. The definition also doesn't care how you get the stability.

Also, I am not 100% sure about this but I think phase margin and gain margin only apply to systems with feedback. However there is nothing in the definition of a minimum phase system that requires feedback (i.e. the system could be an open amplifier).

es1 said:
Your definition of minimum phase system is not correct:

"[A] system is said to be minimum-phase if the system and its inverse are causal and stable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_phase

So the definition is more restrictive than just stable. The definition also doesn't care how you get the stability.

Also, I am not 100% sure about this but I think phase margin and gain margin only apply to systems with feedback. However there is nothing in the definition of a minimum phase system that requires feedback (i.e. the system could be an open amplifier).

Okay, maybe not the definition, but one of the properties as a result of what you just said. But that still doesn't answer the question. Even in your definition, it says the system is stable. How is there instability resulting from gain margins and phase margins in my stable system?

I guess I don't understand the question.
Here is what I thought you were asking:

System with such and such gain and phase margin = stable
Minimum phase system = stable

As both systems are stable, what makes them different?

es1 said:
I guess I don't understand the question.
Here is what I thought you were asking:

System with such and such gain and phase margin = stable
Minimum phase system = stable

As both systems are stable, what makes them different?

Alright, I figured out what the answer was. But my original question was this.

The book states that, given that a system is minimum phase, if the gain margin or phase margin are negative, the system is unstable. My issue was that a minimum phase system is already stable. Turns out, the book was referring to the open loop transfer function of the system, which makes a lot more sense. If the closed loop transfer function was minimum phase, the system would definitely already be stable. The open loop transfer function being minimum phase does not guarantee stability of the closed loop transfer function.

The stability for a closed loop system can be found using the open loop transfer function with the nyquist stability theorem which is where gain and phase margin come into play.

Last edited:
Negative gain margin? What is that anyway? You mean less than 1?

trambolin said:
Negative gain margin? What is that anyway? You mean less than 1?

Gain margin is how much gain (in decibels) you can add to the open loop transfer function of a feedback system before it becomes unstable. Essentially, if the transfer function of the open loop is minimum phase, you want the magnitude of the open loop transfer function to be less than 1 (which, in decibels, results in a negative dB value) when the phase is 180. This criteria relates to the Nyquist stability theorem. So if the gain at 180 degrees phase has a negative dB value, the gain margin would be positive. This indicates how much gain in dB you can add before your system becomes unstable. If the magnitude is greater than 1, and your open loop transfer function is minimum phase, your system is going to be unstable. The gain in dB at 180 degrees will be some positive number which means the gain margin would be a negative value.

What is a min phase system and why is it important to determine its stability using GM and PM?

A minimum phase (min phase) system is a type of linear system that is used to model a variety of physical systems. It is important to determine its stability using GM (gain margin) and PM (phase margin) because these parameters provide valuable information about the stability of the system and can be used to design controllers that will ensure stability.

What is gain margin (GM) and how is it related to the stability of a min phase system?

The gain margin (GM) is a measure of how much the gain of a system can be increased before the system becomes unstable. It is closely related to the stability of a min phase system because a higher gain margin indicates a more stable system, while a lower gain margin indicates a less stable system.

How is the phase margin (PM) used to determine the stability of a min phase system?

The phase margin (PM) is a measure of how much the phase of a system can be changed before the system becomes unstable. It is used to determine the stability of a min phase system by analyzing the phase response of the system and comparing it to a reference phase. A higher phase margin indicates a more stable system, while a lower phase margin indicates a less stable system.

What are some common methods used to determine the stability of a min phase system using GM and PM?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the stability of a min phase system using GM and PM. Some of the most commonly used methods include the Bode plot, Nyquist plot, and root locus plot. These methods involve analyzing the frequency response of the system and using the GM and PM parameters to determine stability.

Are there any limitations to using GM and PM to determine the stability of a min phase system?

While GM and PM are useful parameters for determining the stability of a min phase system, they do have some limitations. For example, they assume that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, they do not take into account nonlinearities or disturbances in the system, which may affect stability. It is important to consider these limitations when using GM and PM to determine the stability of a min phase system.