hydrogen atom obeying classical mechanics rather than quantum mechanics

by jessiepink
Tags: atom, classical, hydrogen, mechanics, obeying, quantum
jessiepink
Jul22-09, 05:37 PM
P: 4
Suppose that the electron in the hydrogen atom obeyed classical mechanics rather than quantum mechanics. Why should such a hypothetical atom emit a continuous spectrum rather than the observed line spectrum?

So far I have: quantum mechanics deals with the smallest possible piece of a system. The behaviors of such pieces will be different than the behaviors of a system at whole. The atom will not emit a line spectrum b/c it will not be moving like a light wave/particle.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
turin
Jul22-09, 05:59 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
I think that you need to understand classical electromagnetism to answer this question, and it should probably be in the advanced physics forum. What course is this for? And at what level?
jessiepink
Jul24-09, 01:22 PM
P: 4
The class is Intro to Physics 2.

turin
Jul27-09, 05:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327

hydrogen atom obeying classical mechanics rather than quantum mechanics

Quote Quote by jessiepink View Post
The class is Intro to Physics 2.
I don't know why you are expected to be able to address this question, then.

The only hints that I can think of are:
What is the electromagnetic consequence of accelerating charge?
What kind of motion does the electron in a classical hydrogen atom execute?
What happens to the motion of an orbiting object when it loses energy?

These hints are given in no particular order, and, in fact, they are iterative.
Nitnaes
Mar22-11, 08:51 PM
P: 1
This question looks to be from Modern Physics (3rd edition) by Serway, Moses and Moyer, chapter 4 Q2 (as it is the same word for word). So I will answer to an according level of physics.

In classical mechanics the e- is not restricted to being in atomic levels, ie. it can be at any distance in orbit in relation to the nucleus. If the e- moves closer to the nucleus it will do so gradually and therefore emit energy continuously at varying degrees. This will cause the continuous spectrum talked about in the question.

In quantum mechanics the e- is restricted to being certain distances from the nucleus known as atomic levels (or shells). When an e- moves down quantum levels towards the nucleus it will emit energy instantaneously. This means that the energy is emitted in one "packet" or quantum of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) which shows as individual lines in the spectrum. Where these lines are in the spectrum is characteristic of the type of atom that is emitting the EMR.
chenesai
Apr20-11, 03:19 AM
P: 5
how do we get to the equation power= -2/3*e2*a2/c3 (two thirds*e squared*a squared all divided by c cubed
e is electron charge
a acceleration , equal to v squared for velocity over r for radius
chenesai
Apr20-11, 03:19 AM
P: 5
how do we get to the equation power= -2/3*e2*a2/c3 (two thirds*e squared*a squared all divided by c cubed
e is electron charge
a acceleration , equal to v squared for velocity over r for radius

Register to reply