Register to reply

Coulomb's Law - Four Charges with Coordinates are Given, Find the Electrostatic Force

by antiderivativ
Tags: charges, coordinates, coulomb, electrostatic, force
Share this thread:
antiderivativ
Aug4-09, 10:27 PM
P: 17
Four point-charges are fixed at the corners of a 3.0m X 4.0m rectangle. The coordinates of the corners and the values of the charges are listed below.
q1 = 100 microC (0, 4m), q2 = 36 microC (4m, 3m), q3 = 125 microC (0, 3m) and q4 = 32 microC (0,0). Compute the net electrostatic force acting on the 100 microC charge.
ke = 8.99 x 109

I'm using Coulomb's Law.
F = [tex]\frac{ke*q1*q2}{r^2}[/tex]

Here is my attempt at a solution. Is it correct?

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
alphysicist
Aug5-09, 10:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi antiderivativ,

Quote Quote by antiderivativ View Post
Four point-charges are fixed at the corners of a 3.0m X 4.0m rectangle. The coordinates of the corners and the values of the charges are listed below.
q1 = 100 microC (0, 4m), q2 = 36 microC (4m, 3m), q3 = 125 microC (0, 3m) and q4 = 32 microC (0,0). Compute the net electrostatic force acting on the 100 microC charge.
ke = 8.99 x 109

I'm using Coulomb's Law.
F = [tex]\frac{ke*q1*q2}{r^2}[/tex]

Here is my attempt at a solution. Is it correct?

No, I don't believe that is correct. When you find the components of F13, you are using an angle of 45 degrees. It would have been a 45 degree angle if the charges were at the corners of a square, but since this is a rectangle it will be different.

You can use your 3-4-5 triangle you have on the page to find the correct angle. What do you get?
antiderivativ
Aug6-09, 12:11 AM
P: 17
Thanks for the reply! My new angle is 53.13. Is this better? :)

alphysicist
Aug6-09, 07:52 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Coulomb's Law - Four Charges with Coordinates are Given, Find the Electrostatic Force

Quote Quote by antiderivativ View Post
Thanks for the reply! My new angle is 53.13. Is this better? :)
Really close! But you changed your triangle when you calculated the angle, and that gave you the wrong angle.

If you look at the 3-4-5 triangle about halfway down the page on the left side, the 3 side is vertical and the 4-side is horizontal, and that matches your problem and calculation.

At the bottom of the page, you switched the 3 and 4 sides. You did the correct procedure; it's just that if you use your original triangle, you'll do:

[tex]
\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)
[/tex]

instead of the arctangent of 4/3.

Register to reply