Velocity of a block on a slope

In summary, a 500 kg block slides down a ramp of 20 degrees and raises a 100 kg block with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2. The problem asks to determine the velocity of the 100 kg block when it has ascended 5 m. The initial attempt at a solution was incorrect as it did not take into account the 100 kg block. The correct approach involves drawing free body diagrams for each of the masses and using Newton's 2nd Law to find the common acceleration and tension in the string connecting the masses.
crazy31

Homework Statement

The block of mass 500 kg is released from rest at the top of the slope
It slides down a ramp of angle 20degrees
It raises a block weight of 100kg
The coefficient of kinetic friction between the 500 kg mass and the ramp is 0.2

Homework Equations

Determine the velocity of the 100 kg block when it has ascended 5 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi.

Im not very good with maths and physics and i'll freely admit that. I just need somehelp in prodding me in the right direction :smile:

this is what i did so far and it really doesn't look right

acceleration = 9.81 (sin20 - 0.2cos20)
(500-100)/1.51

= 264.63m/s (first thing that makes me think I am doing the wrong thing)

then v squared = 0 + (2*264.63*5)

= 51m/s

Now even to someone as thick as me that looks completely wrong. So can someone help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the expression for the acceleration? It looks like the acceleration of a single mass sliding down the incline. It seems you did not take into account the 100 kg block.

Here is a pic of the diagram in question

That acceleration part was something that i found in some notes for a question that i had done ages ago

Attachments

• Block weight.jpg
    Block weight.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 438
I cannot see the picture yet. Until I do, ask yourself whether the acceleration that you found in some old notes applies to the same situation as this one. Do you have a description of the old problem with a diagram that matches the picture that you posted?

no i don't unfortunately

i don't even have a scanner to scan it into my computer and show you.I did find the diagram that goes with the old equation and it doesn't have a weight to raise up. Thats where my equation has gone wrong (amongst other things i guess)

That's OK. Eventually the picture will show up. Meanwhile,

1. Draw a free body diagram (FBD) for each of the masses.
2. Use the FBDs to write Newton's 2nd Law for each of the masses. This will give you two equations and two unknowns, the common acceleration of the masses and the tension in the string connecting the masses.
3. Eliminate the tension to find the common acceleration.

Ok i'll try and draw a free body diagram

Bare with me cos I am not that great at this

Take your time, but note that two (not one) FBDs are needed.

Ok here are my FBD's. I don't know if they are right tho unfortunately

Attachments

• FBD mass on slope.jpg
    FBD mass on slope.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 553
  • FBD2.jpg
    FBD2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 414
I cannot see the FBDs "pending approval."

1. This is a good general picture of a free body diagram:
http://www.unm.edu/~caps/caps-handouts/free-body.html

2. I am going to guess what you're free body diagram should be (but am not entirely sure if I interpreted your problem correctly):
http://www.jfinternational.com/ph/second-Newton-law-exercises-2.html

3. I think if you read over those two links you will gain more an understanding- in particular, if you skim over the second link that should be sufficient I'd say.Good luck,JL

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the velocity of a block on a slope?

The velocity of a block on a slope is the rate of change of its position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that describes both the speed and direction of the block's motion.

2. How is the velocity of a block on a slope calculated?

The velocity of a block on a slope can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a block on a slope?

The velocity of a block on a slope is affected by several factors such as the angle of the slope, the mass of the block, the force applied, and the presence of friction. These factors can either increase or decrease the velocity of the block.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect the velocity of a block?

The angle of the slope has a significant impact on the velocity of a block. As the angle of the slope increases, the gravitational force acting on the block also increases, causing it to accelerate and therefore, increasing its velocity. However, if the angle of the slope is too steep, the block may experience more friction and its velocity may decrease.

5. Can the velocity of a block on a slope ever be constant?

Yes, the velocity of a block on a slope can be constant if the force applied on the block is balanced by the force of friction acting against it. This can occur when the block is moving at a constant speed on a slope with a low angle and minimal friction.