Register to reply

Light gas molecules vs heavy

by ariana0923
Tags: heavy, light, molecules
Share this thread:
ariana0923
Aug15-09, 02:38 PM
P: 15
So, I was playing around with this virtual lab online. I could add light gas or heavy gas to try to make the piston move. I got the same results using both gases..in other words, it took the same amount of light gas to move the piston as it did using heavy gas. Why is that? One would think it would make a difference..
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
negitron
Aug15-09, 03:05 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 842
Nope. The parameters for the gas laws are temperature, pressure, volume and molarity. A mole is a mole, regardless of the gas; likewise volume. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the gas particles--at first glance, it might seem that molar mass would make a difference here, but a heavy molecule with a given KE will move more slowly than a light molecule with the same KE. If you can find a simulation which tracks average particle velocity, you';ll see what I mean.
ariana0923
Aug15-09, 03:12 PM
P: 15
Quote Quote by negitron View Post
it might seem that molar mass would make a difference here, but a heavy molecule with a given KE will move more slowly than a light molecule with the same KE. .

...that confused me because I thought the mass DIDN'T make a difference?

xxChrisxx
Aug15-09, 03:31 PM
P: 2,048
Light gas molecules vs heavy

Mass doesnt, becuase you are measuring the gas in terms of other variables that effectively take into account the mass.

From ideal gas: PV=nRT

As negitron was saying the Temperature is a way of describing the kinetic energy of the molecules. A for a heavy molecule to have the same KE as a light molecule it must be travelling slower.

As pressure depends on the Temp (average energy) of the gas, we dont care about how much it weighs, only the energy it has.

Register to reply