Modeling a lense using the intersection of two spheres

by Unit
Tags: lense, spherical aberration
Share this thread:
Unit
Aug21-09, 12:04 AM
P: 182
Hi everybody!

I am trying to model a lense shape using two circles of radii R and r, with one at the origin and the other offset upwards vertically by distance D. D must be less than R + r, but it must be greater than the larger of R or r.

Thus, I have two equations, and the region of their intersection is a lense-shape!

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = R^2[/tex] called the "origin sphere"

[tex]x^2 + (y - D)^2 = r^2[/tex] called the "offset sphere"

Anyway, for the numerical analysis I'm doing, I have R = r = 5 (the size of my protractor) and D = 8, which works out nicely because the two circles intersect at (-3, 4) and (3, 4).

What I do:
-start off with incident light, represented by vertical rays, like x = 2
-find the point at which it collides with the offset sphere (xray, yray)
-draw a tangent (using the derivative)
-find the necessary angles (using the arctangent of slope)
-use Snell's law once ([itex]n_{air} \sin{\theta_1} = n_{glass} \sin{\theta_2}[/itex])
-determine an equation of a line y that has this equivalent angle and passes through the collision point: y = m(x - xray) + yray
-find there this new line collides with the origin sphere (the top curve of the lense)
-draw a tangent
-Snell's law again
-determine an equation of the final line, the twice-refracted line
-the y-intercept of that line is the "focal" point (judging by symmetry)

This is a lengthy process, each of these steps involving not-very-simplifyable expressions, so a "master equation" that does all this for me would be unwieldy.

What I have found, though (to my great disappointment), is that the "focus" is actually a region of intersections and not simply one point. So, I'm trying to think, would adding a second "lense" remove all spherical aberration? Is it even possible to remove all spherical aberration? By "lense", I mean any extra, defineable shape that will correct the aberration.

Thanks!

-Unit
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects

Register to reply