Heat capacity of a solid using the Einstein model

by Antti
Tags: capacity, einstein, heat, model, solid
Share this thread:
Antti
Aug23-09, 03:53 AM
P: 25
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Plot the heat capacity as a function of temperature for aluminium, using the Einstein model.

2. Relevant equations

The Einstein model for heat capacity:

3. The attempt at a solution

The model assumes that the frequencies of all the harmonic oscillators in the material are the same. But does it mean "same for all temperatures" or "same for a given temperature"? And if the latter is true, will I need to find a function [tex]\epsilon (T)[/tex]? Because otherwise the right hand side of the Cv equation wil have two free variables. Thankful for help, my textbook is very unclear about this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
kuruman
Aug23-09, 06:30 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,443
In this model, the frequency of each oscillator is the same at all temperatures, but the energy varies with temperature. Define

[tex]\frac{1}{x}=\frac{\epsilon}{kT}[/tex]

Plot C(1/x) / 3Nk vs. x which is a dimensionless plot, good for any choice of specific values. Here, it's the shape that counts.

Register to reply