Register to reply

Ultrasound and DNA repair

by TheAlkemist
Tags: repair, ultrasound
Share this thread:
TheAlkemist
Aug27-09, 10:03 PM
P: 97
Is there any SCIENTIFIC evidence of the effect of ultrasound on chemical repair of DNA? As in, is there peer-reviewed research in this?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Discovery reveals how bacteria distinguish harmful versus helpful viruses
14 detained trying to prevent Faroe Island dolphin hunt
Census: Orca population in Puget Sound falling
jim mcnamara
Aug28-09, 07:13 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,384
This atricle shows that a chemotherapy-resistant ovarian cancer cell line ( because of DNA repair) becomes less resistant on exposure to ultrasound.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00003/art00017
Andy Resnick
Aug28-09, 07:49 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,523
I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.

TheAlkemist
Aug28-09, 12:34 PM
P: 97
Ultrasound and DNA repair

Thanks for the link Jim. I can't access the full article, but if you can, could you address Andy's question? I'm curious.
Monique
Aug29-09, 09:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.
According to the introduction the ultrasound treatment leads to increased intracellular drug levels, I haven't read the study so I can't comment on the validity.

Register to reply