Ultrasound and DNA repair

by TheAlkemist
Tags: repair, ultrasound
TheAlkemist
Aug27-09, 10:03 PM
P: 97
Is there any SCIENTIFIC evidence of the effect of ultrasound on chemical repair of DNA? As in, is there peer-reviewed research in this?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
jim mcnamara
Aug28-09, 07:13 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
This atricle shows that a chemotherapy-resistant ovarian cancer cell line ( because of DNA repair) becomes less resistant on exposure to ultrasound.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00003/art00017
Andy Resnick
Aug28-09, 07:49 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.

TheAlkemist
Aug28-09, 12:34 PM
P: 97

Ultrasound and DNA repair

Thanks for the link Jim. I can't access the full article, but if you can, could you address Andy's question? I'm curious.
Monique
Aug29-09, 09:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,612
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.
According to the introduction the ultrasound treatment leads to increased intracellular drug levels, I haven't read the study so I can't comment on the validity.

Register to reply