Register to reply

Cool brainstorming dictionary

by waht
Tags: brainstorming, dictionary
Share this thread:
waht
Aug28-09, 12:59 PM
P: 1,636
If you are writing a paper perhaps this might be useful to bounce around words. It's a dictionary and a thesaurus that connects words in a visual way:

http://www.visuwords.com/
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Maroc
Aug28-09, 01:13 PM
PF Gold
P: 56
Thanks for this waht.
Sorry!
Aug28-09, 01:14 PM
P: 571
Hey that's cool. Nice find waht :)

junglebeast
Aug28-09, 01:14 PM
P: 462
Cool brainstorming dictionary

I love the physics of it, it's sort of like protein folding. It didn't seem very practical or useful in any context to me, though...not enough associations, and it couldn't really be navigated. I guess I was expecting something that would allow you to dynamically travel through the relationships instead of just seeing 1 static graph with a small handful of associations...most of which are just different parts of speech of the input word..
Danger
Aug28-09, 01:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I found it strangely appropriate that when I opened it, the subject was 'indecency'. I'm as indecent as I can get away with whenever possible.
27Thousand
Aug28-09, 08:03 PM
P: 89
That is useful. Helps you grasp the idea/concept of words better, or conceptualize.
TheStatutoryApe
Aug28-09, 08:35 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by junglebeast View Post
I love the physics of it, it's sort of like protein folding. It didn't seem very practical or useful in any context to me, though...not enough associations, and it couldn't really be navigated. I guess I was expecting something that would allow you to dynamically travel through the relationships instead of just seeing 1 static graph with a small handful of associations...most of which are just different parts of speech of the input word..
I guess it depends on the word you use. I got "rap" as a random pick and the number of associations was pretty big. Still no navigation that I could tell. You can interact with it though.
waht
Aug28-09, 10:42 PM
P: 1,636
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
I guess it depends on the word you use. I got "rap" as a random pick and the number of associations was pretty big. Still no navigation that I could tell. You can interact with it though.
You can pan and zoom.
TheStatutoryApe
Aug28-09, 11:10 PM
P: 1,550
Quote Quote by waht View Post
You can pan and zoom.
If you hover over one of the nodes it will show a bit more info. Also you can "grab" one of the nodes and move the thing around by it though I haven't figured out the use of it other than to maybe untangle it a bit or to just mindlessly shake it around.
Sorry!
Aug29-09, 12:50 AM
P: 571
Quote Quote by TheStatutoryApe View Post
If you hover over one of the nodes it will show a bit more info. Also you can "grab" one of the nodes and move the thing around by it though I haven't figured out the use of it other than to maybe untangle it a bit or to just mindlessly shake it around.
sometime the words go off the screen and you can't move to where they are so you just move them to where you are :) cause when you zoom out to see the words it's hard to make out the details.

Woah NVM that you can click the background and drag to move around... never noticed that before.

Register to reply