Register to reply

Treat people the way you want to be treated

by Imparcticle
Tags: people, treat, treated
Share this thread:
Imparcticle
Jul1-04, 10:59 PM
P: 566
The common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" asserts that by treating people the way you want to be treated, they will treat you the same way, right?
Suppose a man, J, a ruthless villain is attacking a person, Z, both verbally and physically. J is then treating Z the way he(J) wants to be treated. Should Z treat J the way J wants to be treated then even though Z disagrees with the way J is treating people like Z?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
BoulderHead
Jul1-04, 11:05 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Imparcticle
Should Z treat J the way J wants to be treated then?
The common dictum be damned?
Evo
Jul1-04, 11:36 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
The common dictum "treat people the way you want to be treated" asserts that by treating people the way you want to be treated, they will treat you the same way, right?
Not exactly. It's just a simple logical statement "don't expect someone to treat you any better than you treat them"

Integral
Jul2-04, 03:19 AM
Mentor
P: 7,320
Treat people the way you want to be treated

No, that is not right. It makes no mention of how others will treat you. The Golden Rule is about your personal choices, how YOU react not how others react. It is a simple rule of personal behavior, don't over think it.
Njorl
Jul2-04, 08:23 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 875
Sadly, as a young man I discovered that most attractive young women did not want to do to me what I wanted to do to them.

Njorl
BoulderHead
Jul2-04, 09:16 AM
P: n/a
Sadly, as a young man I discovered that most attractive young women did not want to do to me what I wanted to do to them.
Did you do unto them as you would have had them do unto you anyway?

When ugly old women donít want you either the gig, as they say, is just about up!
Dissident Dan
Jul2-04, 10:00 PM
P: 691
The whole point is just to make you empathize with others. Geeze.

Register to reply