Register to reply

Electric Potential, spherical shell: Multiple Choice

by TwinGemini14
Tags: choice, electric, multiple, potential, shell, spherical
Share this thread:
TwinGemini14
Sep11-09, 04:06 PM
P: 34
A non-conducting, spherical shell centered at the origin has radius r1 and total charge -Q, where Q is a positive value. (DO NOT ASSUME THE POTENTIAL AT INFINTIY IS ZERO!)

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...Cpotential.gif

1) The electric potential just outside the surface of the shell is __________ the electric potential infinitely far from the shell.

A) higher than
B) lower than
C) equal to

------
This problem stumped me. I figured that the electric potential outside the sphere was...
V = -Q/(4*pi*EpsilonNot*r)

So as r grows, the potential actually gets higher.
So the answer is B.
-----
2) If a negative charge outside the shell is moved closer to the shell, the potential energy of the system will __________. If a positive charge outside the shell is moved closer to the shell, the potential energy of the system will __________.

A) decrease, increase
B) increase, stay the same
C) increase, decrease

-----
Since the force and displacement vectors are acting in opposite directions, the total work decreases. PE = -W, so then that means that the potential energy increases. The opposite is true with the positive charge.

So the answer is C.
--------------------
Can somebody please confirm these answers? I would like to know if I messed up some logic along the way. Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts

Register to reply