Register to reply

Electric Potential, spherical shell: Multiple Choice

by TwinGemini14
Tags: choice, electric, multiple, potential, shell, spherical
Share this thread:
TwinGemini14
Sep11-09, 04:06 PM
P: 34
A non-conducting, spherical shell centered at the origin has radius r1 and total charge -Q, where Q is a positive value. (DO NOT ASSUME THE POTENTIAL AT INFINTIY IS ZERO!)

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...Cpotential.gif

1) The electric potential just outside the surface of the shell is __________ the electric potential infinitely far from the shell.

A) higher than
B) lower than
C) equal to

------
This problem stumped me. I figured that the electric potential outside the sphere was...
V = -Q/(4*pi*EpsilonNot*r)

So as r grows, the potential actually gets higher.
So the answer is B.
-----
2) If a negative charge outside the shell is moved closer to the shell, the potential energy of the system will __________. If a positive charge outside the shell is moved closer to the shell, the potential energy of the system will __________.

A) decrease, increase
B) increase, stay the same
C) increase, decrease

-----
Since the force and displacement vectors are acting in opposite directions, the total work decreases. PE = -W, so then that means that the potential energy increases. The opposite is true with the positive charge.

So the answer is C.
--------------------
Can somebody please confirm these answers? I would like to know if I messed up some logic along the way. Thanks in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages

Register to reply