Register to reply

I figured out the slope for a force vs mass graph but does a slope have units?

by Meganktn
Tags: figured, force, graph, mass, slope, units
Share this thread:
Meganktn
Sep15-09, 08:55 PM
P: 4
Need to know how to figure out the units on a slope
ty.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Myriadi
Sep15-09, 09:07 PM
P: 10
Yes the slope has units!

Slope = rise/run

Since you are plotting force against mass, the rise in the graph is the change in force while the run is the change in mass.

Therefore, slope= Force/Mass

I am assuming that you are dealing with the SI system, which means force is measured in Newtons (N) and mass in kilograms (kg).

This means that the units of the slope are N/kg. However a Newton is also equal to one kg*m/s2, so if we divide this by one kg we are left with a slope with units m/s2, which acceleration is measured in!

This makes perfect sense considering that F=m*a. If we divide force by a certain mass we have F/m=(m*a)/m. In other words F/m=a. And since the slope of this graph was calculated by dividing F/m we know that it represents acceleration. That's proof that the unit for the slope is m/s2.
Meganktn
Sep15-09, 09:36 PM
P: 4
TY TY TY I APPRECIATE THIS VERY VERY MUCH! your answer was awesome! i hate sites where ppl just tell the answer and not explain it :) tyy

Register to reply