rootX
Nov24-11, 05:48 PM
P: 1,294
Jimmy Snyder
Nov24-11, 05:51 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
What am I missing?
Incisor is the correct term, but so rarely used that most people aren't sure what it means. Front tooth is coloquial, but unless you intend to become a dentist, that's the term you should remember because just about everyone calls it that. There is a novelty song from the 40s called 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth'. Ostensibly this is sung by a child who has lost his milk teeth.
zoobyshoe
Nov24-11, 05:52 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
So "jedynka" is just a front tooth. Good to know.
Yep. Those two front and center are your "front teeth". In the bottom jaw you might qualify them as "bottom front teeth." If you just say "front teeth" people usually assume you mean the top ones.

The term "front teeth" might actually extend to those on either side of the two center ones, depending. By which I mean, if someone pointed to one of them and referred to it as a "front tooth" I would experience no cognitive dissonance. We're speaking very informally here.
zoobyshoe
Nov24-11, 05:56 PM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Ostensibly this is sung by a child who has lost his milk teeth.
"Milk teeth" is regional, archaic, and resonant with oral-erotic overtones. Proper colloquial American speech requires they be referred to as "baby teeth".
Jimmy Snyder
Nov24-11, 06:01 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
"Milk teeth" is regional, archaic, and resonant with oral-erotic overtones. Proper colloquial American speech requires they be referred to as "baby teeth".
But I'll bet it translates well into Polish.
zoobyshoe
Nov24-11, 06:07 PM
No question.
Ivan Seeking
Nov24-11, 10:08 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Yay! It looks like I get to see Jackie Evancho perform live. I know this notion strikes terror in the heart of a Zooby, but I'm really looking forward to this.

I've only attended a few concerts in my life: The Rolling Stones, Eddie Money/Santana, Elton John, and now Jackie Evancho.

Well, I did also see James Galway at the Hollywood Bowl.
zoobyshoe
Nov24-11, 11:01 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Yay! It looks like I get to see Jackie Evancho perform live. I know this notion strikes terror in the heart of a Zooby, but I'm really looking forward to this.
I kinda figured it out: she bears a strong resemblance to my friend, Darla,

http://physicsforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=365

except Darla is 22. So it's freaky to see an 11 year old version of Darla with an adult operatic voice blasting out of her on top of it.
Ivan Seeking
Nov24-11, 11:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
I kinda figured it out: she bears a strong resemblance to my friend, Darla,

http://physicsforums.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=365

except Darla is 22. So it's freaky to see an 11 year old version of Darla with an adult operatic voice blasting out of her on top of it.
Honestly, I have been absolutely mesmerised by this girl since I played the first video. And the closer you look, the more amazing she is. She is the closest thing to magic that I have ever seen. As near as I can tell, she is a prodigy on at least three different levels. First is her raw vocal talent. Her range, tone, and clarity alone lead to a staggeringly beautiful performance. Next, but perhaps more significant is her ability to connect with the music emotionally, and to then convey that emotion; at a level far beyond any eleven year old that I've ever known, and probably most adults. Finally, she is a natural performer. If you spend some time watching her, it becomes clear that she is not only a natural talent unlike many before, but the utter joy that consumes her while she performs is a pure joy to watch. What's more, when it comes to audiences, she is absolutely fearless. Even when she loses her place or forgets the words, she might turn and smile quickly at mom [presumably], and then just sway with the music until she can jump back in. On a first pass most people probably wouldn't even notice. And it doesn't seem to bother her in the least.
Borek
Nov25-11, 02:43 AM
Admin
P: 23,731
[QUOTE=AlephZero;3633366The four teeth at the back of the jaws are called "wisdom teeth"[/quote]

Same here, but calling them "ˇsemki" ("eights") won't raise a brow.

Dentists in the UK use the system of upper/lower, left/right, and numbering from the center to the back.
I think this in an international system, together with a short-hand notation where 1| means an upper right front teeth (the lines should meet, but it is easier to draw on paper than to find a way to render it correctly in the text).

It does. "Ząb mleczny" means exactly "milk tooth".
HeLiXe
Nov25-11, 08:22 PM
P: 412
I'm so much more attracted to odd numbers than even numbers...they feel so cool and crisp <3

Even numbers are so warm
rootX
Nov25-11, 08:24 PM
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
I'm so much more attracted to odd numbers than even numbers...they feel so cool and crisp <3

Even numbers are so warm :ack:
You like odd numbers?

We can never be friends

I like even numbers with equal passion I hate odd numbers
HeLiXe
Nov25-11, 08:28 PM
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
You like odd numbers?

We can never be friends

I like even numbers with equal passion I hate odd numbers
We are friends <3
but this explains why I find your posts so warm and friendly and fuzzy

lisab is friendly too...but for some reason I think she is an odd number lover like me
HeLiXe
Nov25-11, 08:29 PM
And drizzle is definitely prime

I think Char does not have an affinity for numbers but rather symbols...I somehow think he is particularly fond of set theory symbols
rootX
Nov25-11, 08:30 PM
I went to an indian place to eat pani puris

I ordered so much that lady asked me like 3-4 times if I am the only person eating them all
HeLiXe
Nov25-11, 08:32 PM
I ordered so much that lady asked me like 3-4 times if I am the only person eating them all
rootX
Nov25-11, 08:33 PM
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
We are friends <3
but this explains why I find your posts so warm and friendly and fuzzy
It makes so perfect sense!

lisab is friendly too...but for some reason I think she is an odd number lover like me
I bet she likes even number! I am really sure about that!

But, drizzle is definitely a prime person
HeLiXe
Nov25-11, 08:38 PM
I bet she likes even number! I am really sure about that!
Maybe this is why we all love lisab :D she seems to favor whichever number sets we favor

Register to reply