Register to reply

PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
Lancelot59
Jan8-12, 07:38 PM
P: 675
Are they the sort of goats that climb trees?
lisab
Jan8-12, 07:45 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Quote Quote by Lancelot59 View Post
Are they the sort of goats that climb trees?
I've seen those pictures of the Moroccan goats in trees - they're great!

My goats would climb *anything* they could. The only tree in their pasture was a big Douglas fir, which didn't have branches low enough for them to access, so they couldn't climb it.

But they would go around the back of the barn, climb a big granite rock (a glacial erratic the size of a VW bug ), and hop up onto the barn roof. They'd sleep up here nearly every night.

I've seen pix of goats on the tops cars. They love being high off the ground.
turbo
Jan8-12, 07:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Goats are nuts, and they can really climb. Got some older apple trees with low branches? Expect to lose apples to the goats unless you can successfully fence them out. (Tougher than it looks!)
netgypsy
Jan8-12, 07:52 PM
P: 239
I LOVE goats. They are the nicest animals. Their only failing besides their unusual appetite is that they are very hard to house train.

All goats can climb trees but I think pygmies are the most agile. In Aruba they have a tree called a dividivi tree and the goats on the island climb them. My students didn't believe me until I showed them pictures.

Forgot to mention - my pygmy goat climbed my neighbor's new Lincoln - jumped right up on the hood. I almost had a heart attack. Luckily it wasn't damaged and my neighbor was very nice about it.
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 08:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
We had pigmy goats. They were a lot of fun but also fantastic escape artists. We used an electric fence but it had to be perfectly maintained. They would constantly test the field strength with their noses somehow. If the field was weakened due to a few blades of grass touching the fence, out they went!

You haven't lived until you've chased 4 renegade goats at 3AM.

We had a two babies, a wether, and the mom. The young male and I would have head pushing contests. Surpringly, he was always very careful until we made solid contact. I was just sure he was going to butt me one day and knock me silly, but he never did - just steady pushing. He loved it and it was funny as could be.

Here we go. Our babies.

Lancelot59
Jan8-12, 08:05 PM
P: 675
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I've seen those pictures of the Moroccan goats in trees - they're great!

My goats would climb *anything* they could. The only tree in their pasture was a big Douglas fir, which didn't have branches low enough for them to access, so they couldn't climb it.

But they would go around the back of the barn, climb a big granite rock (a glacial erratic the size of a VW bug ), and hop up onto the barn roof. They'd sleep up here nearly every night.

I've seen pix of goats on the tops cars. They love being high off the ground.
I once saw some pictures of some goats that climb up the face of a dam to lick off the salt and moss.
zoobyshoe
Jan8-12, 08:17 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
The young male and I would have head pushing contests.
This does not surprise me.
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 08:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
This does not surprise me.
I'm not sure I know how to take that!

See those little horns on his head? That was a tricky business. I kept thinking I would soon have a matching pair of holes in my head.
netgypsy
Jan8-12, 08:21 PM
They are definitely escape artists

I put a yoke on our worst one. She still got out.

The goat lady told me how to train goats so they will never try to get out. I didn't do it. Sure wish I had.
turbo
Jan8-12, 08:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
They are definitely escape artists

I put a yoke on our worst one. She still got out.
Very hard to pen goats. They climb, they scheme, they jump...
Moonbear
Jan8-12, 08:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
We had pigmy goats. They were a lot of fun but also fantastic escape artists. We used an electric fence but it had to be perfectly maintained. They would constantly test the field strength with their noses somehow. If the field was weakened due to a few blades of grass touching the fence, out they went!

You haven't lived until you've chased 4 renegade goats at 3AM.
When I worked with goats, the farm manager thought an electric fence would keep the males and females separated. They learned to time their leaps through to the pulses of current sent through. Nothing short of padlocked steel bars kept them in. I'd rather chase escapees through rural OR than 6 lane highways in NJ.
netgypsy
Jan8-12, 09:01 PM
Goats aren't the only animals that will time their sneaking through electric fences. I had to get a continuous electric because of a miniature horse who did that and who taught a foal to do it also.

The goat lady told me to get 4 hog panels, put then in a square, put a single electric fence wire about chest high inside them and put the goats in there when I first got them. She said leave them there for about a month. After that they would never go near an electric fence wire. She had hundreds of goats so I assume she knew what she was talking about.

Love the pygmy photo. They are so cute. Forgot to mention that one day I was sitting next to one of my does. She turn her head to the left as I turned mine to the right and we hit heads very hard. I actually had a vitreous separation because of it. A total accident. My goats were over six feet tall when they stood up and they would stand up and slam heads together. They had no horns but you could hear the heads slam together. I would love to know how they did that without totally scrambling their brains.
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 09:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I'd rather chase escapees through rural OR than 6 lane highways in NJ.
No kidding! My heart sinks when I see animals on a highway. But they are still tough to catch!
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 09:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Goats aren't the only animals that will time their sneaking through electric fences. I had to get a continuous electric because of a miniature horse who did that and who taught a foal to do it also.

The goat lady told me to get 4 hog panels, put then in a square, put a single electric fence wire about chest high inside them and put the goats in there when I first got them. She said leave them there for about a month. After that they would never go near an electric fence wire. She had hundreds of goats so I assume she knew what she was talking about.

Love the pygmy photo. They are so cute. Forgot to mention that one day I was sitting next to one of my does. She turn her head to the left as I turned mine to the right and we hit heads very hard. I actually had a vitreous separation because of it. A total accident. My goats were over six feet tall when they stood up and they would stand up and slam heads together. They had no horns but you could hear the heads slam together. I would love to know how they did that without totally scrambling their brains.
I don't think we had any incidents with ours. We did have a problem between the goats though. The male [wether] went nuts when we had the female bred. He could smell the other male and started attacking her. So we had to keep them separated for a time.

The part I hated the most was trimming hooves. Dehorning is a very ugly business but we only had to do it once.

When I took the young male in to be neutered, the vet asked me to hold him, so I assumed he was going to give the goat a shot. Instead, he grabbed a pair of scissors and cut off his testicles!!! It was completely unexpected and about put me on my knees! I was shocked. Cripes, at least a little warning would have helped. Having farm animals is fun but it can get pretty brutal at times.
Moonbear
Jan8-12, 09:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
My goats were over six feet tall when they stood up and they would stand up and slam heads together. They had no horns but you could hear the heads slam together. I would love to know how they did that without totally scrambling their brains.
They have thicker bone at the top of the head, and larger sinuses (air-filled spaces in the skull) to absorb the impact.
lisab
Jan8-12, 09:44 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
My favorite was named "Butthead". It fit him in soooo many ways .
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 09:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Moonbear, I'm curious what you have to say about this. When we put the goats in with the dogs, in a common, very very large dog house, we were told the dogs would kill the goats. In fact, a couple of old timers laughed at me when I mentioned our plans. But we monitored things closely and it quickly became clear they all got along great. The one dog even adopted the two babies as her own, which didn't make mom happy at times, but it all worked out fine.

Does this surprise you at all; that the goats and dogs were so compatible?
Ivan Seeking
Jan8-12, 09:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
My favorite was named "Butthead". It fit him in soooo many ways .
We like using condescending names for our pets too. It makes us feel as if we're in control.

Register to reply