by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
dkotschessaa
May11-12, 09:56 AM
P: 604
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
We're not animals?
Sure, but I think the intention behind "no animal products" is pretty clear.

They act like anything from an animal is demonic. Bizarre.
Some do. For most it's just a lifestyle choice. I would if I a) wasn't weak willed and into all kinds of yummy dishes and b) could afford it. The animals aren't really the problem these days though - it's the processing and hormones and god knows what that's going in them now. I'd also eat organic and not-factory farmed if (see b above).

-Dave K
Evo
May11-12, 10:00 AM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Quote Quote by dkotschessaa View Post
Sure, but I think the intention behind "no animal products" is pretty clear.

Some do. For most it's just a lifestyle choice. I would if I a) wasn't weak willed and into all kinds of yummy dishes and b) could afford it. The animals aren't really the problem these days though - it's the processing and hormones and god knows what that's going in them now. I'd also eat organic and not-factory farmed if (see b above).

-Dave K
I think for a lot of people it's misinformation, needless fear and/or wanting to be *different*. Vegetarianism, with the availability of foods now, can be a sound, healthy, natural diet. Vegan can't.

But we're not being random anymore. Back to random.
SHISHKABOB
May11-12, 10:04 AM
P: 614
Neither can plants.
I don't mean to defend Vegans, but I guess one argument they could use is that plants...

wait, why am I spending time arguing devil's advocate for Vegans

*knocks head against desk*
Evo
May11-12, 10:10 AM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Quote Quote by SHISHKABOB View Post
I don't mean to defend Vegans, but I guess one argument they could use is that plants...

wait, why am I spending time arguing devil's advocate for Vegans

*knocks head against desk*
lol.
Whovian
May11-12, 10:18 AM
P: 642
a = 1;
if ( a == 1 ) {
...some code...
} else {
...some other code...
}

(from http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_programming.shtml )
dkotschessaa
May11-12, 11:04 AM
I think for a lot of people it's misinformation, needless fear and/or wanting to be *different*. Vegetarianism, with the availability of foods now, can be a sound, healthy, natural diet. Vegan can't.

But we're not being random anymore. Back to random.
Indeed.

Off to the drive in movies tonight! I love Florida, sometimes.

-Dave K
Dembadon
May11-12, 11:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 641
I don't understand the desire to cover the back window of one's car or truck with a giant logo of an energy drink. Do they (energy drinks) define a subculture of which I'm unaware?
turbo
May11-12, 11:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Dembadon View Post
I don't understand the desire to cover the back window of one's car or truck with a giant logo of an energy drink. Do they (energy drinks) define a subculture of which I'm unaware?
There are plenty of subcultures (manufactured by marketers). Why would some moron go to a store and pay good money to buy a sunscreen emblazoned with the name of the manufacturer of their truck/car? If you are driving a Ford F150, I can already see that you're driving a Ford. When you pay good money to buy a sunscreen with FORD all over it, you degrade the reputations of other Ford-owners. I'm not picking on Ford. Go to any auto-parts store, and you can buy decals of some nasty-looking boy urinating on some unspecified target. Just buy decals to accent your choice of manufacture, and to insult the people who bought from other manufacturers.

Unfortunately, US politics is following this model.
dkotschessaa
May11-12, 12:00 PM
Quote Quote by Dembadon View Post
No, the just give voice to an already active subculture of raging morons. (I'm not sure what that means, but I'm keeping it.)

-DaveK
dkotschessaa
May11-12, 02:30 PM
Just turn that dial
and make your music worthwhile
radio one
you stole my gal...
but I love ya just the same...
Borek
May11-12, 04:50 PM
Admin
P: 23,536
Quote Quote by Whovian View Post
a = 1;
if ( a == 1 ) {
...some code...
} else {
...some other code...
}
Many years ago, before editors with syntax highlighting, I was converting a FORTRAN program to Turbo Pascal so that it could be run not on our university mainframe but on XT with FPU. While it may sound dubious it was a perfectly reasonable step - our mainframe, one of RIAD computers (clone of IBM 360 series) was faster, but unreliable - and XT was several times slower, but it was getting to the end of calculations every time. If memory serves me well single run on 10 MHz XT with 8087 was something like 3 or 4 hours, so not that long.

At some point I had the program mostly running, but still giving different results. There was a series of procedure calls that looked something like

calculate_something(a,b,c,d);
   calculate_something_else(a,b,c,d);
   calculate_something(e,f,g,h);
   calculate_something_else(e,f,g,h);
After making some crucial observation late one evening I added it to the code in the comment, to make sure I will not forget about it the next day:

calculate_something(a,b,c,d);
   calculate_something_else(a,b,c,d);    { this is where something
   calculate_something(e,f,g,h);           important happens }
   calculate_something_else(e,f,g,h);
Unfortunately I had to take care of different things and didn't get back to code for several days. Then it took me another several days to find out why the program suddenly started to produce completely different results
lisab
May11-12, 05:39 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
That makes me smile every time I see it
rootX
May11-12, 11:14 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
What's your hair like - fine or coarse? Do you use conditioner?
I would say coarse. I thought my shampoo should take care of everything but now it turns out I have to go get a conditioner in addition to shampoo
turbo
May12-12, 02:13 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
I would say coarse. I thought my shampoo should take care of everything but now it turns out I have to go get a conditioner in addition to shampoo
Did our ancestors have conditioner? If not, why not? Frequent shampooing can cause problems that you need not spend money to address.
zoobyshoe
May12-12, 02:24 AM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Did our ancestors have conditioner?
Some Native Americans put some root juice on there hair, yes. I don't remember what the root was, so lets call it: root-X.
turbo
May12-12, 02:37 AM
PF Gold
My roots are native-american, french, and irish. What kind of juices should i use?
Jimmy Snyder
May12-12, 02:42 AM
P: 2,179
My roots are native-american, french, and irish. What kind of juices should i use?
Beer.
zoobyshoe
May12-12, 02:43 AM
P: 5,630
A mix of root-X, truffle, and potato juice.

Register to reply