by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
FrancisZ
Jul21-10, 07:13 PM
P: 43
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Yes, she was hit by a bus.

Except I think she was chasing her prosthetic eye instead of a shiny red ball.

Oh boooooo! I loved Sandy Duncan; her, and Phyllis Diller. I think it's because they were both on Scooby Doo.
rootX
Jul21-10, 07:27 PM
P: 1,294
So, I went today to store nearby for peppers. They didn't have but the store guy went inside and grabbed me three big ones and he didn't charge me for them!
turbo
Jul21-10, 07:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Chili needs black beans. Canned if you must, but prepared slowly from dried beans if you have the time.
Evo
Jul21-10, 07:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Chili needs black beans. Canned if you must, but prepared slowly from dried beans if you have the time.
Traditional chili beans (illegal in Texas)are kidney or pinto. Black beans became popular maybe 10-15 years ago. I love them, but you won't find them included in older, traditional recipes.
turbo
Jul21-10, 07:38 PM
PF Gold
Traditional New England baked beans are made with yellow-eye or soldier beans. Mine are always made with dried black turtle beans. Tradition gives way to taste and quality in my kitchen.
HeLiXe
Jul21-10, 07:43 PM
P: 410
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
So, I went today to store nearby for peppers. They didn't have but the store guy went inside and grabbed me three big ones and he didn't charge me for them!
KewL
Evo
Jul21-10, 07:49 PM
Mentor
Traditional New England baked beans are made with yellow-eye or soldier beans. Mine are always made with dried black turtle beans. Tradition gives way to taste and quality in my kitchen.
turtle beans or black beans? There is a difference. 'black' turtle beans are smaller and rounder than 'black beans', and have a slight reddish tint. You really have to hold them next to each other to notice the difference. I've switched from turtle beans to black beans, but I can get both here.
turbo
Jul21-10, 07:56 PM
PF Gold
In the 70's I was really cash-strapped and couldn't afford a co-op membership, so I teamed up with some married neighbors who were members and piggy-backed my orders onto theirs, and when the shipments came in, I'd go with them to split the bulk quantities into order quantities as a volunteer. I got introduced to turtle beans, bulgar wheat, different varieties of rice, etc, through that co-op, as well as too many other good things to list. Good discounts, and food that you couldn't get at a supermarket.
Evo
Jul21-10, 07:58 PM
Mentor
In the 70's I was really cash-strapped and couldn't afford a co-op membership, so I teamed up with some married neighbors who were members and piggy-backed my orders onto theirs, and when the shipments came in, I'd go with them to split the bulk quantities into order quantities as a volunteer. I got introduced to turtle beans, bulgar wheat, different varieties of rice, etc, through that co-op, as well as too many other good things to list. Good discounts, and food that you couldn't get at a supermarket.
So you actually use traditional mexican turtle beans then. Do you ever use generic black beans?

When I grew up you ate Uncle Bens converted rice if you had money, plus Uncle Bens was a local company. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I learned how many different types of rice there were.

I also found out that the ultra expensive sushi rice I was buying is indestinguishable from the cheapest generic rice that Walmart sells. I got that tip from a sushi website. Who knew?
turbo
Jul21-10, 08:01 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
So you actually use traditional mexican turtle beans then. Do you ever use generic black beans?
Nope! The health food store in town carries turtle beans, and that's all I use. Before they moved into town, it was sometimes a chore to find them.
Evo
Jul21-10, 08:07 PM
Mentor
Nope! The health food store in town carries turtle beans, and that's all I use. Before they moved into town, it was sometimes a chore to find them.
Very cool!
turbo
Jul21-10, 08:12 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
When I grew up you ate Uncle Bens converted rice if you had money, plus Uncle Bens was a local company. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I learned how many different types of rice there were.

I also found out that the ultra expensive sushi rice I was buying is indestinguishable from the cheapest generic rice that Walmart sells. I got that tip from a sushi website. Who knew?
When I was a kid, we never used converted rice. Unfortunately, in the back woods of Maine, we could only buy generic polished white rice. When I got to college and was turned onto co-op food, I found out about how many different kinds of rice there were. Vegetarianism and macrobiotic diets were a rage back then, and there was a concentration on rice - easily stored, easily prepared. I'm still hooked on Basmati rice - relatively non-sticky, unlike many Chinese and SE Asian varieties, with a delicate nutty aroma.
turbo
Jul21-10, 08:17 PM
PF Gold
Is this the random food thread?
rootX
Jul21-10, 08:47 PM
P: 1,294
Without good food life will be incomplete
HeLiXe
Jul21-10, 09:16 PM
I concur....today I had a coffee from Starbux and for the first time I had the hazelnut syrup in my iced coffee I felt ecstatic....I didn't know food could do that to people!
HeLiXe
Jul21-10, 09:18 PM
My thought pattern is a Möbius loop @_@
cronxeh
Jul21-10, 09:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
My thought pattern is a Möbius loop @_@
ehh.. moar pr0n on the boundary
HeLiXe
Jul21-10, 09:47 PM
nah...something more intoxicating well.....to change it anyways. I need a new vice.

Register to reply