Register to reply

Problem 3.79: Centrifuge

Share this thread:
kser
Sep18-09, 08:00 PM
P: 6
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A laboratory centrifuge on earth makes n rpm (rev/min) and produces an acceleration of 3.40 g at its outer end.

Part A: What is the acceleration (in g's) at a point halfway out to the end?

Part B: This centrifuge is now used in a space capsule on the planet Mercury, where gMercury is 0.378 what it is on earth. How many rpm (in terms of n) should it make to produce 4 gMercury at its outer end?

2. Relevant equations

a = v2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

Well using the equation for centripetal acceleration, I figure if the Radius is half then the acceleration in g's would be double for part A. Is that right? or would it be half?

For part B I'm not exactly sure what to use or do. What kind of equation could I use?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much, really thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
rock.freak667
Sep18-09, 08:48 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Quote Quote by kser View Post

2. Relevant equations

a = v2/R
since we are given rpm or 'ω', let's use a=ω2r instead.

So you know that at the outer end a= 3.40g=ω2r. Our ω in this case is n

so n2r=3.40g

Now halfway to the end is r/2 and ω is the same so we get now:

a1=n2(r/2) → (n2r)/2=a1

try dividing the two equations in red and get a1/3.40g = "something"
kser
Sep19-09, 01:06 PM
what do you mean by "dividing the two equations"? combine them? so a/3.40g = ((n^2r)/2))/n^2r ? I'm sorry, am i just looking into this way too much? I don't get what you're saying. because the way i see it. n is constant so when you half the radius, that also halves the acceleration right?

rock.freak667
Sep19-09, 01:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
Problem 3.79: Centrifuge

Quote Quote by kser View Post
what do you mean by "dividing the two equations"? combine them? so a/3.40g = ((n^2r)/2))/n^2r ? I'm sorry, am i just looking into this way too much? I don't get what you're saying. because the way i see it. n is constant so when you half the radius, that also halves the acceleration right?
yes that is what I meant by divide.

For the second part, the 'r' is the same at the outer end. So in terms of 'n' find the r using what happens on Earth. The use amercury=N2r
kser
Sep20-09, 06:21 PM
yup. i'm sorry i just dont get it. ugh. this whole mercury part it just not makin sense.

so i find r in terms of n and get: r = 3.4/n^2 <--- is that even right? can't be because then I don't see how that would give me what I'm looking for. i am just not good at this stuf....
kser
Sep22-09, 09:41 AM
nevermind! got it. thanks so much!

Register to reply