Photon Absorption wavelength(s) to aid ionization?

In summary, the resonant excitation wavelengths (we'll say they are all longer than 450nm) would be the best option for highest ionization efficiency.
HMS-776
If I have a group of atoms in a high voltage field, and I want to use photon energy to aid the ionization of the atoms what wavelength(s) would best be used to have the highest ionization efficiency?

The shortest wavelength available?

Or the resonant wavelength for each excitation level?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to start a discharge with help of initial "ignition" with photons, there might be different possibilities:

1) You excite atoms with available source of resonance photons and the high-voltage electric field ionizes more easily the excited atoms,

2) You use photons with energies a little bit higher than the ionization energy (the maximum of photo-ionization is reached not at Eptoton = Eionization but at higher energies),

3) You use X-rays for that.

Good answer!

Lets say I only have 2 choices:

1. I can use the resonant excitation wavelengths (we'll say they are all longer than 450nm)

2. Or i can use UV at 370nm

Wouldn't the UV contrubute more to the ionization than the resonant excitation wavelengths since the UV is shorter (higher energy)?

HMS-776 said:
Good answer!

Lets say I only have 2 choices:

1. I can use the resonant excitation wavelengths (we'll say they are all longer than 450nm)

2. Or i can use UV at 370nm

Wouldn't the UV contrubute more to the ionization than the resonant excitation wavelengths since the UV is shorter (higher energy)?

Yes, I think so, especially in presence of an external electric field. It is known that the light from electric arc makes charged body discharge due to air ionization with UV light.

Most individual atom photoionization cross sections are in the 10 Mb (megabarn)(1 Mb = 1 x 10^-18 cm^2) range. See
http://xdb.lbl.gov/Section1/Sec_1-5.html
Usually, the cross section is maximum at threshold, but sometimes it may increase slightly a few eV above threshold. In most cases, the cross section is nearly a factor of 10 lower by 50 eV.
[Edit] You might find this table of elements sorted by ionization energy handy:
http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=ionization
Bob S

Last edited:

1. What is photon absorption?

Photon absorption is the process by which an atom or molecule absorbs a photon of light energy, causing an electron to move from a lower energy level to a higher energy level.

2. How does photon absorption aid in ionization?

Photon absorption can aid in ionization by providing the necessary energy to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion.

3. What is the relationship between photon absorption and wavelength?

The wavelength of a photon determines its energy, and therefore its ability to be absorbed by an atom or molecule. Different wavelengths correspond to different energy levels, and only photons with enough energy can be absorbed for ionization to occur.

4. Are there specific wavelengths that are more effective for photon absorption and ionization?

Yes, there are specific wavelengths that are more effective for photon absorption and ionization, depending on the substance being studied. This is because each substance has its own unique energy levels, and therefore requires a specific amount of energy to be absorbed for ionization to occur.

5. What are some practical applications of studying photon absorption wavelengths for ionization?

Studying photon absorption wavelengths for ionization can have a wide range of practical applications, including in fields such as material science, astronomy, and environmental science. It can also be used in various technologies, such as solar cells and lasers.