Your Fingernails vs Continental Drift

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drift
In summary, the biologist said that pigs are more likely to kill you than sharks, and that there are many horror stories about pigs. He also mentioned that with each breath you inhale air molecules that were exhaled by Julius Caesar, and that with each heartbeat you inhale carbon dioxide. He also said that you are more likely to be killed by a pig than by a shark, that there are more than 1000 chemicals in a cup of coffee, that there are 293 ways to make change of a dollar, that a cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death, that the human body grows the equivalent of a new skeleton every seven years, that there are more than 1000 chemicals in a cup of coffee and
plover said:
The Bob sez: "There is no Albanian word for headache."
I'm not sure what this would mean. They must describe the phenomenon somehow. In English we invented a compound word, so there's no word for headache that's a root part of the English language. In Russian, the word for "hedgehog" is a two-letter root word: ёж. So could Russians say that English doesn't have a "real" word for "hedgehog". The French could also say that English has no word for eborgner ("to put [someone's] eye out")

Well it could be seen that way. I got this one from a book of random facts so not sure how accurate it is but Moonbear (above) found a word for eborgner :biggrin: . And the book also has those acryonms that no one wants. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Bob said:
If you mouth the word 'colourful' to someone, it looks like you are saying, 'I love you'.
Also the same for mouthing 'elephant shoes'

Mistress Lilith said:
Also the same for mouthing 'elephant shoes'

That would explain a very strange experience that I had at the circus...

...The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand, weighing less than a penny.

...A baby bat is called a pup.

...The poisonous copperhead snake smells like fresh cut cucumbers

...The Antpitta avis canis Ridgley is a bird that looks like a stuffed duck on stilts and barks like a dog. The bird was discovered by ornithologist Robert S. Ridgley in the Andes in Ecuador in June 1998. Thirty of these long-legged, black-and-white barking birds were found. It apparently had gone undetected because it lives in remote parts and, of course, doesn't sing. The size of a duck, it is one of the largest birds discovered in the last 50 years.

...Mosquitoes dislike citronella because it irritates their feet.

...The honeybee kills more people world-wide than all the poisonous snakes combined

...The dog equivalent of catnip is called Stinking Goosefoot, a foul-smelling plant.

...In Knoxville, Tennessee, it's against the law to lasso a fish...

...A cockroach breaks wind every 15 minutes. ...

Many more
http://www.freakyanimals.com/facts002.shtml

Last edited:
A Giraffe can kill a Lion with one kick...

I never did trust those giraffes

Here is a cool thing that I used to do. In the old MRI units, that is Magnetic Resonance Imaging units used for medical procedures, the magnetic field can be up to 1.5 Teslas - a very powerful field indeed. If you stand a sheet of alunimum up on its edge [or any other non-ferrous conductor for that matter], the sheet will fall over very, very slowly. IIRC, in a 08. - 1.0 T field, it takes about thirty seconds to a minute for a 12" X 12" [or so] sheet to fall over if placed in the center of the field. It only falls as quickly as energy is lost due to eddy currents produced in the aluminum as the changing magnetic field - due to the motion of the plate in the field - induces current flow.

Playing with knives in this field was quite fun as well.

Last edited:
If I play such games around our 10T magnets, we lose weeks of data, and I get to experience a fair piece of hell.

But here's some fun things to put into your microwave oven :

- AOL CDs that you had set aside for rolling disc experiments,
- Air blown soap, like Ivory
- a fresh grape cut in half, with the 2 halves just barely connected to each other (this could hurt the microwave)
- incandescent light bulb

Gokul43201 said:
But here's some fun things to put into your microwave oven :

- AOL CDs that you had set aside for rolling disc experiments,
- Air blown soap, like Ivory
- a fresh grape cut in half, with the 2 halves just barely connected to each other (this could hurt the microwave)
- incandescent light bulb

And the results are?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Go find out yourself.

Entropy said:
Go find out yourself.

Just blow up my microwave a bit :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)