Fun Facts

by Ivan Seeking
Tags: facts
Share this thread:
BoulderHead
Jul6-04, 10:54 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Entropy
Each day on average you inhale 1 liter of other people's anal gases.
Perhaps even more if you're around me.
Ivan Seeking
Jul6-04, 11:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
So Boulderbomb was close to the mark after all?

Oh yes. Thanks to you my 7 year old nephew is calling me eyebeen stinking!
Ivan Seeking
Jul6-04, 11:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
A key source of smell in Parmesan cheese is the same as that for vomit.

Also, I just heard that smelly feet and Limburger cheese have the same source of odor; a certain bacteria.

Sorry, not sure of the proper names. Also, maybe not exactly fun facts…
BoulderHead
Jul6-04, 11:30 PM
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
So Boulderbomb was close to the mark after all?
I'm a regular bunker buster thanks to this new brand of dietary fiber.
Oh yes. Thanks to you my 7 year old nephew is calling me eyebeen stinking!
Hahaha, I still get a chuckle over that.
BoulderHead
Jul6-04, 11:56 PM
Tying a length of thread onto the leg of a June Bug or large cockroach makes an inexpensive powered airplane.

Birthday candles, straws, and thin plastic bags can be fashioned into working hot air balloons.
The Bob
Jul7-04, 02:51 AM
P: 1,116
Quote Quote by Entropy
No, hippos can suffer from sunburn and many other blad animals

Chimps can also stand on their heads.

I think you're just making yours up.
Well maybe the sunburn one is inaccurate.

But chimps are close enough to humans anyway. I thought you would have thought of that.

The Bob (2004 ©)
The Bob
Jul7-04, 02:54 AM
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Sorry, couldn't resist commenting
Oh Moonbear. You do crack me up everytime.

The one, though, that will stick in my mind is the sticky chess pieces. It will have to because the others were passing comments. This is just funny.

The Bob (2004 ©)
The Bob
Jul7-04, 02:55 AM
Quote Quote by Entropy
I think you're just making yours up.
Not making them up. Some are most likely out of date to the book.

The Bob (2004 ©)
Monique
Jul7-04, 09:57 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Also, I just heard that smelly feet and Limburger cheese have the same source of odor; a certain bacteria.
There goes the secret of how Limburger cheese is made ..
Monique
Jul7-04, 10:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The total length of the human genome is 3 meters, which is stuffed into a nucleus 6 micrometers in diameter. A single chromosome is on average 5 cm long. You carry 2*1013 meters of DNA with you, which is equivalent to going to the sun and back.
Ivan Seeking
Jul7-04, 06:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Monique, perhaps you can confirm or deny the following claim. I have heard this several times: The number of beats of the heart over an average lifespan is approximately constant for many species. That is to say that we all get the same number of beats in total. Is there any truth in this?
plover
Jul7-04, 08:18 PM
HW Helper
P: 430
A few comments:

The Bob sez: "Starfish have no brains."
I'm pretty sure starfish and sea cucumbers are also the invertebrates most closely related to humans. (Counting tunicates as vertebrates.)

The Bob sez: "Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure."
Also bonobos.

The Bob sez: "The average bed is home to over 6 billion dust mites."
There are also several species of mite whose only habitat is the human forehead.

The Bob sez: "On average, a 4-year-old child asks 437 questions a day."
For very small values of "day".

The Bob sez: "There is no Albanian word for headache."
I'm not sure what this would mean. They must describe the phenomenon somehow. In English we invented a compound word, so there's no word for headache that's a root part of the English language. In Russian, the word for "hedgehog" is a two-letter root word: ёж. So could Russians say that English doesn't have a "real" word for "hedgehog". The French could also say that English has no word for eborgner ("to put [someone's] eye out")

The Bob sez: "The heads of a freak two-headed snake will fight over food - despite sharing the same stomach."
Snake head on left: "But these frogs are so tasty! Why should this jerk get all the fun?"
Snake head on right: [sticks out tongue]

The Bob sez: "In Tallin, Estonia, couples are not allowed to play chess in bed while making love."
But mah-jongg is ok...

A few more bits of essential knowledge:

The group of mammals most closely related to primates is tree shrews (followed by bats). (Also: 1/4 of all species of mammals are bats.)

More people are killed each year by hippos than by any other African mammal (including lions).

A (male) blue-ringed octopus apparently can't tell the gender of other blue-ringed octopuses without trying to mate with them.
Moonbear
Jul7-04, 09:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by plover
The Bob sez: "On average, a 4-year-old child asks 437 questions a day."
For very small values of "day".
LOL! This should be used as an example of time dilation...at least the day sure feels longer.

Quote Quote by plover
I'm not sure what this would mean. They must describe the phenomenon somehow. In English we invented a compound word, so there's no word for headache that's a root part of the English language. In Russian, the word for "hedgehog" is a two-letter root word: ??. So could Russians say that English doesn't have a "real" word for "hedgehog". The French could also say that English has no word for eborgner ("to put [someone's] eye out")
Actually, there is an English word for this: enucleation (technically, it's the surgical removal of the eye).

Yes, I actually have a lot of useless information crammed inside my head...I'm so glad this site gives me the opportunity to finally make some of it useful! How often does the shape of a pig's penis come up in normal conversation? I'd share more, but you have to ask the right questions for me to find the good stuff in the archives...too much information, need better search terms
Monique
Jul8-04, 03:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Monique, perhaps you can confirm or deny the following claim. I have heard this several times: The number of beats of the heart over an average lifespan is approximately constant for many species. That is to say that we all get the same number of beats in total. Is there any truth in this?
Apparently there is a formula for mammals: lifespan = 1902.6/ heartbeat speed

The shrew is the smallest mammal, whose heart beats 800x a min = 2.38 years. The elephant is the largest mammal, whose heart beats 25x a min = 76.1 years. Both numbers are close to the actual age.

A human heart beats 60x a min = 31.7 years.. maybe if we lived without modern technology?

Maybe we should collect a larger sample of cats, skunks, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, chinchilla and whatever other mammals people have got sitting around their house
Ivan Seeking
Jul8-04, 03:42 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Interesting. IIRC, in 1850 [Western Civilization I assume] the average lifespan for humans was about 40 years. This hinged greatly on infant mortality though.
Ivan Seeking
Jul8-04, 03:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
One reference I have seen to this ratio is in the movie The Pirates of Silicon Valley. Allegely Bill Gates once argued this as proof that exercise is bad since it increases your heartrate; thus shortening your lifespan.
Monique
Jul8-04, 04:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
The three wealthiest people (and their families) in the world have more assets than the combined wealth of the 48 poorest countries.

Bore-hole seismometry indicates that the land in Oklahoma moves up and down 25cm throughout the day, corresponding with the tides. Earth tides are generally about one-third the size of ocean tides.
The Bob
Jul8-04, 04:20 AM
Quote Quote by plover
I'm not sure what this would mean. They must describe the phenomenon somehow. In English we invented a compound word, so there's no word for headache that's a root part of the English language. In Russian, the word for "hedgehog" is a two-letter root word: ёж. So could Russians say that English doesn't have a "real" word for "hedgehog". The French could also say that English has no word for eborgner ("to put [someone's] eye out")
Well it could be seen that way. I got this one from a book of random facts so not sure how accurate it is but Moonbear (above) found a word for eborgner . And the book also has those acryonms that no one wants.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Register to reply