Error range in compressive strength for a sphere.

In summary, the sphere will be immersed in a fluid and have mass pumped out (to create buoyancy.) The sphere will have a radius of r and will have a pressure of Pw. The sphere will have a thickness of T and will have a strength of (Pw-Pi)r/2T.
socrunningman
so here it is, I want to build a sphere with pressure being exerted uniformly on all sides. the sphere will be immersed in a fluid and have mass pumped out(to create buoyancy.) I have calculated the strength of the sphere to be...

C=((Pw-Pi)r)/2T
where
Pw=Pressure of the Water
Pi=Internal Pressure
r=radius of sphere
T=the thickness of the spherical skin

Buoyancy is given by a separate equation.

What I would like to know is "if the diameter of the sphere is off uniform(is built by humans) what strength is required by the sphere. I haven't ever done calculations on error ranges and I do not know where to look to learn about how to do it. Learning how would be much more helpful than just knowing this case, but I will accept either!

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just an idea... what about going back to the basics of the strength formula (the integrals from analytic geometry) and introducing terms which allow variance in radius and thickness of the shell... then re-deriving a strength formula which would include terms for such variance?

I had the same idea, the problem that I run into is that every time I try and do it I make the entire sphere smaller or larger in variance. what I need it an imperfect sphere formula, where say the top portion of the sphere is a little "egg" shaped" or conversely, is indented, while the rest of the sphere is still uniform. Mathematically this is a little hard to do, as some spots become more resistive to compressive forces, and others become weaker (luckily I am only looking at the weakest points not the strongest, or the in-betweens) I just know that there should be a simple way to do this, I just do not know where to look for it or how to go about it in an exact way.

Extra note, I plan on building this buoyancy sphere, testing it, and then possibly manning it. Hence why knowledge about what will theoretically happen is tres impotant.

~socrunningman

I would review the pressure vessel design equations for spheres like successful bathyspheres use for deep ocean exploration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathysphere_(vessel )
External pressure vessels require a much thicker shell than internal pressure vessels. There is (was?) a nuclear submarine (the Thresher) lying at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. See
http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/t/thresher.htm
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is error range in compressive strength for a sphere?

The error range in compressive strength for a sphere refers to the range of values that the compressive strength of a sphere can vary within a certain margin of error. This is due to various factors such as material properties, testing methods, and environmental conditions.

2. How is error range in compressive strength for a sphere calculated?

The error range in compressive strength for a sphere is calculated by taking the difference between the highest and lowest measured compressive strength values and dividing it by the average compressive strength. This value is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage.

3. Why is it important to consider error range in compressive strength for a sphere?

It is important to consider error range in compressive strength for a sphere because it indicates the reliability and accuracy of the measured compressive strength values. It also helps to identify any potential inconsistencies or variations in the testing process that may affect the results.

4. What factors can contribute to the error range in compressive strength for a sphere?

There are several factors that can contribute to the error range in compressive strength for a sphere, such as the type and quality of material used, the testing equipment and procedures, the environmental conditions during testing, and human error.

5. How can the error range in compressive strength for a sphere be minimized?

The error range in compressive strength for a sphere can be minimized by using high-quality materials, following standardized testing procedures, calibrating and maintaining testing equipment regularly, and conducting multiple tests to get an average value. It is also important to control for environmental factors and minimize human error during the testing process.