Register to reply

Which engineering field is in high demand?

Share this thread:
melissa97
Sep24-09, 11:10 AM
P: 1
I need to make my choice soon on which engineering course I want to apply for. Civil is out of the question because my scholarship doesn't allow Civil and I don't know why. I wanted to choose Electrical/Electronics but I've been hearing people saying there's no market for it and after learning about electromagnetism and circuits, I don't quite fancy the topics. I did some research and so far not so helpful. I'm hopeful someone would enlighten me. Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
kote
Sep24-09, 01:54 PM
P: 871
Quote Quote by melissa97 View Post
I need to make my choice soon on which engineering course I want to apply for. Civil is out of the question because my scholarship doesn't allow Civil and I don't know why. I wanted to choose Electrical/Electronics but I've been hearing people saying there's no market for it and after learning about electromagnetism and circuits, I don't quite fancy the topics. I did some research and so far not so helpful. I'm hopeful someone would enlighten me. Thank you.
Hi Melissa. You may want to check out http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm. Many types of engineers are in demand, and you will probably be best served by pursuing whatever field you are more interested in or passionate about. Mechanical engineering is probably the most generic and will open doors in aerospace and automotive industries (among others). Chemical engineering is very specific but starting salaries are highest for chemical engineers. There are also a variety of careers that require any engineering degree and don't care what particular flavor it is.

You may want to investigate the entry level job options in engineering. There are many rotational programs at larger companies such as Intel, GE, Raytheon, etc, that give engineers exposure to a variety of roles early on. Check out the requirements for those programs at companies you may be interested in working for.

With an engineering degree you will also have options in industries such as management and finance. You may or may not want to broaden your search and check out what other industries are looking for in candidates as well.
chroot
Sep24-09, 02:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
melissa97, I'm an electrical engineer, and work in Silicon Valley in California. There is a tremendous market for electrical and computer engineers, at least out here. I don't know what the job market is like in your preferred geographic area, but I think you've heard wrong about the general market for EEs.

- Warren

chiro
Sep24-09, 07:24 PM
P: 4,572
Which engineering field is in high demand?

Quote Quote by chroot View Post
melissa97, I'm an electrical engineer, and work in Silicon Valley in California. There is a tremendous market for electrical and computer engineers, at least out here. I don't know what the job market is like in your preferred geographic area, but I think you've heard wrong about the general market for EEs.

- Warren
Its pretty much the same story in australia. Engineers get snapped up very very quickly because a lot of people don't pick engineering here.
thrill3rnit3
Sep24-09, 07:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 712

- Warren
Do you know if the demand would be decreasing anytime soon? How about 5-6 years from now?
chroot
Sep25-09, 02:42 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Quote Quote by thrill3rnit3 View Post
Do you know if the demand would be decreasing anytime soon? How about 5-6 years from now?
EE is one of the most widely applicable disciplines. Almost every product made today involves some amount of electrical engineering. I can't imagine any catalyst in the next 5-6 years that would reduce demand for such products. I personally do not see any reason to expect a decrease in demand for EEs in my lifetime.

By the way, EE (and Silicon Valley in general) has shown enormous resistance to the global recession. In my opinion, this speaks very highly of the industry and its security.

- Warren
note360
Sep25-09, 09:50 PM
P: 29
I could possibly see an increase in demand. The difference between electronics and other goods is that electronics are moving forward so fast and companies like this because that means more sales for each generation of product/electronic. It is kind of neat.

I don't know i'm still in high school,but I know a thing or two about electronics. I could be wrong, but it is a solid point. Eventually the novelty of new electronics will level out, but we are still a ways off from that.
thrill3rnit3
Sep25-09, 10:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 712
EE is one of the most widely applicable disciplines. Almost every product made today involves some amount of electrical engineering. I can't imagine any catalyst in the next 5-6 years that would reduce demand for such products. I personally do not see any reason to expect a decrease in demand for EEs in my lifetime.

By the way, EE (and Silicon Valley in general) has shown enormous resistance to the global recession. In my opinion, this speaks very highly of the industry and its security.

- Warren
Do you know if applied mathematicians are being hired in silicon valley? I think that's what I'm going to pursue when I get to college.
note360
Sep27-09, 06:12 PM
Silicon Valley will probably continually expand into the future. However, Eventually alot of the work will start to spread out around the USA. Then it wont just be Silicon Valley it will be the Silicon Nation :P
avant-garde
Sep28-09, 02:24 PM
P: 205
^ Silicon India is more like it than Silicon USA, don't you think?
note360
Sep28-09, 03:34 PM
Quote Quote by avant-garde View Post
^ Silicon India is more like it than Silicon USA, don't you think?
True.... I am just being optimistic ;)
avant-garde
Sep28-09, 04:39 PM
P: 205
Well, as an 18 year old applying to colleges and thinking about majors, I wouldn't place too much weight on that opinion lol
shounlukey
Jan27-10, 12:01 AM
P: 1
Quote Quote by melissa97 View Post
ffffffffff

Register to reply