What Is The Complete Formula Of A Lever?

In summary, the lever would be 10 feet long, and the center of mass would be at the 5 foot mark (3 feet to the right of the fulcrum). To lift the long side of the lever using the short side, the lever would need to weigh 100 pounds.
EnquiringMind
In trying to solve a problem, I was using the simple F1D1 = F2D2 as the balance point of a lever. My limited physics knowledge knew no better.

My hypothetical involved using the "short side" of a lever to lift a weight on the long side of a lever.

After thinking about it... I realized I couldn't have a big cast iron lever and expect to balance it by placing 4 quarters on one end. I realized that the weight of the lever has to be factored in.

Since so many web pages talk about levers but never talk about this aspect, I am here hoping someone can tell me (or link me to) the COMPLETE formula of a lever.

Thank you for any help.

PS. I apologize if this is a redundant question, or if this is the wrong forum for this question. This place is so big that it's hard to find things.

Physics news on Phys.org
EnquiringMind said:
Since so many web pages talk about levers but never talk about this aspect, I am here hoping someone can tell me (or link me to) the COMPLETE formula of a lever.
To include the weight of the lever itself, just realize that its weight acts at its center of mass (for the purposes of calculating the torque it would produce).

My original formula, that did not include the weight of the lever, was...

F1 x 2 feet > F2 x 8 feet

As you can see, the lever is 10 feet long, and I want to lift the long side of the lever using the short side of the lever (hence, the ">" sign).

The center of mass of the entire lever would be at the 5 foot mark (3 feet to the right of the fulcrum). Let's say the entire lever is uniform and weighs 100 pounds.

Is my formula now F1 x 2 feet > (F2 x 8 feet) + (3 feet x 100 lbs)

Is that correct?

EnquiringMind said:
Is my formula now F1 x 2 feet > (F2 x 8 feet) + (3 feet x 100 lbs)

Is that correct?
Looks good to me.

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or plank that is supported at one point, called the fulcrum, and used to lift or move objects at a second point called the load.

2. What is the complete formula of a lever?

The complete formula of a lever is effort x effort arm = load x load arm. This means that the amount of effort (force) applied to one end of the lever is equal to the product of the load (weight) and its distance from the fulcrum.

3. How does a lever work?

A lever works by using the principle of torque, which is the rotational force created by applying a force at a distance from a fixed point. The longer the distance between the force and the fulcrum, the greater the torque and the easier it is to move the load.

4. What are the different types of levers?

There are three types of levers: first class, second class, and third class. In a first class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort and the load. In a second class lever, the load is between the effort and the fulcrum. In a third class lever, the effort is located between the fulcrum and the load.

5. What are some real-life examples of levers?

Some examples of levers in everyday life include a seesaw, a crowbar, and a pair of pliers. Other examples include a wheelbarrow, a fishing rod, and a shovel. The human body also uses levers, such as the bones in the forearm acting as a lever to lift objects with the hand as the effort.