Register to reply

Proving a limit theorem of a sequence (square root)

by shoescreen
Tags: limit, proving, root, sequence, square, theorem
Share this thread:
shoescreen
Sep29-09, 11:46 PM
P: 15
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
given the sequence {a_n} converges to A (non zero), show sqrt(a_n) = sqrt(A)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I've tried to expand |sqrt(a_n) - sqrt(A)| as |a_n - A|\|sqrt(a_n) + sqrt(A)| since that gives me the numerator to work with, but I can't figure out how to work with sqrt (a_n).

I'm trying a standard n* epsilon proof, that is finding an n* such that the above quantity is less than any positive real number epsilon.

Thanks for the help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
fmam3
Sep30-09, 02:40 AM
P: 84
Suppose [tex]\lim a_n = A[/tex] and you want to show [tex]\lim \sqrt{a_n} = \sqrt{A}[/tex].

So, right now you need a bound for the denominator. Assuming that we are working with the reals (i.e. no complex numbers for this problem), then see that for the square root to be defined, we must have that [tex]a_n, A \geq 0[/tex]. Thus, that means we can simplify by writing [tex]| \sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A} | = \sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A} \geq \sqrt{A}[/tex] right?

That should be enough for you to finish the proof...
shoescreen
Sep30-09, 11:10 AM
hmmm, but the inequality is in the wrong direction. If want to compare |a_n - A|\|sqrt(a_n) + sqrt(A)| with a smaller sequence, I need something bigger in the denominator, and since root(A) <_ root (a_n) + root(A), I can't guarantee anything about the original sequence.

fmam3
Sep30-09, 11:22 AM
Proving a limit theorem of a sequence (square root)

Note that WLOG, we can assume that [tex]A \ne 0[/tex] since if [tex]A = 0[/tex], then the result is trivial.

In fact, we can even further say that we can assume, WLOG that [tex]A > 0[/tex] (note the strict inequality). Then, if we have [tex]\sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A} > A [/tex], then does that not imply [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}[/tex]? Can you finish the rest of the proof from here?
shoescreen
Sep30-09, 11:42 AM
I take back what i said before, the inequality is in the correct direction. It's frustrating, I had all of this before yet trashed it all because of that inequality sign. Ugh, guess i wasn't in math mode.

Thanks for the help!
fmam3
Sep30-09, 11:45 AM
Quote Quote by shoescreen View Post
I take back what i said before, the inequality is in the correct direction. It's frustrating, I had all of this before yet trashed it all because of that inequality sign. Ugh, guess i wasn't in math mode.

Thanks for the help!
No prob :)
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 06:33 PM
P: 33
Quote Quote by fmam3 View Post
Note that WLOG, we can assume that [tex]A \ne 0[/tex] since if [tex]A = 0[/tex], then the result is trivial.

In fact, we can even further say that we can assume, WLOG that [tex]A > 0[/tex] (note the strict inequality). Then, if we have [tex]\sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A} > A [/tex], then does that not imply [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A}} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}[/tex]? Can you finish the rest of the proof from here?
bumping an old post, but i am having trouble with a similar problem.

how would one continue from where he ended off?

thanks!
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 06:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,182
Using the equality obtained in the excerpt you quoted, you would write

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| = \frac{|a_n - A|}{|\sqrt{a_n} + \sqrt{A}|} < \frac{|a_n - A|}{\sqrt{A}}[/tex]

Now, can you make the numerator as small as you like by choosing a large enough n? If so, what can you conclude?
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 06:46 PM
this is about where i'm getting stuck.
would be able to rephrase that question in any other way?
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 06:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
You're trying to show that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{a_n} = \sqrt{A}[/tex]

What does this statement mean? What is the definition of the limit of a sequence?
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 07:08 PM
i am trying to show that for all ε > 0, there is an N such that for all n>=N i'll have,

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| < ε [/tex]

i'm not understanding how to relate this (below) to my epsilon.

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| < \frac{|a_n - A|}{\sqrt{A}}[/tex]
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 07:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
You know that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = A[/tex]

So given any [itex]\epsilon' > 0[/itex] (I intentionally put a ' on the [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to indicate that it's a different variable) there is an N such that

[tex]|a_n - A| < \epsilon'[/tex]

for all [itex]n \geq N[/itex].

Now think about what choice of [itex]\epsilon'[/itex] would be useful to get the result you require.
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 07:42 PM
[tex]ε' = ε \sqrt{A} [/tex]

would this work?

thank you for all your help so far.
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 07:51 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Looks promising. Why don't you write out your argument in detail and we'll see if it works.
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 08:16 PM
Since,
[tex]|a_n - A| < ε [/tex]

We have that for,
[tex] ε' > 0[/tex]
there exists N such that for all n>=N,

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| < ε' [/tex]

so,

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| < ... < \frac{|a_n - A|}{\sqrt{A}} < \frac {ε'}{\sqrt{A}} = ε [/tex]

where
[tex] ε' = ε\sqrt{A}[/tex]

I feel as though i'm missing some critical parts of the argument.
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 08:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
You have the right idea, but you didn't arrange the proof quite correctly.

Try starting as follows:

Let [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. We seek an [itex]N[/itex] such that whenver [itex]n \geq N[/itex], the following inequality is satisfied:

[tex]|\sqrt{a_n} - \sqrt{A}| < \epsilon[/tex]

We know that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = A[/tex]

Therefore, given [itex]\epsilon' > 0[/itex], ...
skoomafiend
Feb3-12, 08:35 PM
i'm definitely having trouble arranging the proof correctly.
the given ϵ′ is for [tex] | a_n - A| < ϵ' [/tex] ?
jbunniii
Feb3-12, 08:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Right. Given [itex]\epsilon' > 0[/itex], there exists an [itex]N'[/itex] such that

[tex]|a_n - A| < \epsilon'[/tex]

whenever [itex]n > N'[/itex].

I can choose [itex]\epsilon'[/itex] to be whatever I like, and there is guaranteed to be a corresponding [itex]N'[/itex] that makes the above inequality true. So I choose [itex]\epsilon' = \epsilon\sqrt{A}[/itex]...

Register to reply