Register to reply

Chemical equation for glucose osazone and limiting reactants

Share this thread:
IBY
Oct1-09, 03:02 PM
P: 107
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, a while ago, I did a lab that had me get glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4). Now, I am trying to calculate the theoretical mass of the osazone. The chemical equations goes as follows:

C6-H5-N2-H3*HCl + Na-C2-H3-O2*H2-O ------> C6-H5-N2-H3 + H-C2-H3-O2 + Na-Cl + 3(H2-O)

After that:
C6-H12-O6 + 3(C6-H5-N2-H3) --------> C18-H22-N4-O4 + C6-H5-N-H2 + N-H3 + 2(H2-O)

I found the limiting reactants in the first equation for Phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3), but the thing is, in the second equation, 2 mols of phenylhydrazine gets used for osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and water, and the third mole decomposes into the ammonia (N-H3) and aniline (C6-H5-N-H2). So the part I am having trouble is, should I use the ration 2:1 from phenylhydrazine to osazone or keep the 3:1 ration in order to find the theoretical yield?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
chemisttree
Oct2-09, 11:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by IBY View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, a while ago, I did a lab that had me get glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4). Now, I am trying to calculate the theoretical mass of the osazone. The chemical equations goes as follows:

C6-H5-N2-H3*HCl + Na-C2-H3-O2*H2-O ------> C6-H5-N2-H3 + H-C2-H3-O2 + Na-Cl + 3(H2-O)

After that:
C6-H12-O6 + 3(C6-H5-N2-H3) --------> C18-H22-N4-O4 + C6-H5-N-H2 + N-H3 + 2(H2-O)

I found the limiting reactants in the first equation for Phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3), but the thing is, in the second equation, 2 mols of phenylhydrazine gets used for osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and water, and the third mole decomposes into the ammonia (N-H3) and aniline (C6-H5-N-H2). So the part I am having trouble is, should I use the ration 2:1 from phenylhydrazine to osazone or keep the 3:1 ration in order to find the theoretical yield?
If instead of making the phenylhydrazine you used, you obtained it from a bottle... which ratio would you use?

Remember that the first reaction is essentially a neutralization reaction... the phenylhydrazine hydrochloride is free-based with sodium acetate. If I discover a way to do this that requires 20 moles of the the hydrochloride to my newly-discovered base (capable of neutralizing 20 moles of the hydrochloride!), will we all have to go back and rewrite every paper ever published that used sodium acetate for the job?

Register to reply