Calculus - find average rate of change of the function over a given interval

In summary, we are trying to find the average rate of change of the function h(t) = sin t over the interval [3pi/4,4pi/3]. After some calculations, we get the final answer of -6(√3 + √2)/(7π).
mastdesi
Calculus - please help find average rate of change of the function over a given interval

Homework Statement

h(t) = sin t, [3pi/4,4pi/3]

please help me solve this, try to give me an explanation on every step please. i checked but i can't find anything on this in the book. i am basically having problem with this because of the sin.

13z31z.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

25z5w9l.gif

i got to there also but i don't know how to solve the sin part. how does the square root come in.

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you know sin([itex]\pi/3[/itex]) = sin(60 deg.)?
Do you know sin([itex]\pi/4[/itex]) = sin(45 deg.)?
The sines of these angles are numerically equal to the sines, respectively, of the two angles you showed. There are a few angles whose sine, cosine, and tangent you should memorize.

Last edited:

[sin(4π/3) - sin(3π/4)] / (4π/3 - 3π/4)
= (-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12)
= -6(√3 - √2) / (7π)

this is what i got but its none of the 4 multiple choice answers. what's wrong in here?

Your last line should be -6(√3+√2)/(7π)

You didn't factor the - sign properly

Thank you very much. but if you guyz can please explain a lil clearly to me how do u go from this step : (-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12))
to this:
= -6(√3 - √2) / (7π)

mastdesi said:
thank you very much. But if you guyz can please explain a lil clearly to me how do u go from this step : (-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12))
to this:
= -6(√3 - √2) / (7π)

(-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12)) = -1/2(√3 + √2) * 12/(7π) = -6(√3 + √2)/(7π)

BTW, my earlier post was slightly off: sin(π/3) = -sin(4π/3). Looks like you caught that.

1. What is the average rate of change of a function?

The average rate of change of a function is the average amount that the output of the function changes over a given interval. It can be thought of as the slope of a line connecting two points on the function's graph.

2. How is the average rate of change calculated using calculus?

To calculate the average rate of change using calculus, you can use the formula: Average Rate of Change = (f(b) - f(a)) / (b - a), where a and b represent the endpoints of the interval and f(a) and f(b) represent the function's outputs at those points.

3. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point on the function. The instantaneous rate of change is found using the derivative of the function at that point.

4. Can the average rate of change be negative?

Yes, the average rate of change can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing over the given interval. A positive average rate of change indicates that the function is increasing over the interval.

5. How can the average rate of change be used in real-world applications?

The average rate of change can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating average speed in a physics problem or determining average daily temperature changes in climate analysis. It can also be used to analyze trends in financial data or track changes in population growth over time.