Understanding the Discrete Nature of k in Photonic Crystals

In summary: Yes, discrete k's correspond to different bands in a periodic crystal. The continuity of k within a period is necessary for the discrete frequencies to exist.
krindik
Hi,
I have this quite basic question regarding photonic crystals.
As I understand, a periodic dielectric structure (photonic crystal) has modes (spatial profiles) at discrete frequencies from:
[tex] \nabla \times \Big( \frac{1}{\epsilon(r)}\nabla \times H(r) \Big) = \frac{\omega^2}{c^2} H(r)[/tex]

However, dispersion diagrams ([tex]\omega[/tex] vs. [tex]k[/tex]) are continuous plots.

Doesn't each [tex]k[/tex] characterize a different mode?
I'm referring "Photonic Crystals Molding the Flow of Light" and believe it's the best book to learn about photonic crystals.

Really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, each k represents a different mode (or more accurately, each k represents a single mode in each band). The dispersion relation is technically only continuous for infinite crystals, and if you consider finite crystals, the allowed k's become discretized. For example, if you were to apply periodic boundary conditions on a 1D crystal with a total of N unit cells of lattice constant a, you'd find that the k's are separated by a distance of [itex]\frac{2 \pi}{N a}[/itex].

So, you're right: a continuous dispersion relation makes no sense in the context of a finite crystal. To get the continuous dispersion relation, what you're really doing is trying to find solutions of the form [itex]\mathbf{H}(r) = e^{i k \cdot r} \mathbf{u}_k(r)[/itex] (where k can be continuous). If you plug that back into your eigenequation and solve for [itex]\mathbf{u}_k[/itex] under periodic boundary conditions on the unit cell, you get a Hermitian eigenproblem that is also k-dependent. Its solutions are countable, and correspond to different bands.

Practically speaking, the reason people solve for the continuous dispersion relation is that the boundaries of the crystal are usually far away, and that means that the discretization of k is usually negligible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of wisdom !
I was a bit confused in going from chapter 2 in this excellent book as nowhere did I read about the discrete nature of k: [itex] \frac{2 \pi}{N a} [/itex] in an non-infinite crystal.

I can understand the periodic nature of k in: [itex]
\mathbf{H}(r) = e^{i k \cdot r} \mathbf{u}_k(r)
[/itex] where the period number is called 'band'. (guess this is correct).
But does this imply the continuity of k within a period?
Or why does k has to be continuous even in an infinite crystal?
Does it mean any wavelength (excluding the band gap) can freely exist in the crystal?
Then again, the derivation of discrete frequencies was not based on infinite extent of the crystal.

Really appreciate if u could give some advice.

Thanks again.

1. What is a photonic crystal?

A photonic crystal is a specially engineered material that has a periodic variation in its refractive index. This allows for the manipulation of light and its properties in a way that is unusual and not possible in conventional materials.

2. How do photonic crystals work?

Photonic crystals work by controlling the flow of light through their periodic structure. The periodicity of the crystal causes certain wavelengths of light to be reflected or refracted, creating a bandgap where certain wavelengths of light cannot pass through.

3. What are the applications of photonic crystals?

Photonic crystals have a wide range of potential applications, including in telecommunications, optical computing, solar cells, and sensing devices. They can also be used for controlling and manipulating light in optical devices such as lasers and LEDs.

4. What are the different types of photonic crystals?

There are two main types of photonic crystals: 1D and 2D. 1D photonic crystals have a periodic variation in one direction, while 2D photonic crystals have a periodic variation in two directions. There are also 3D photonic crystals, which have a periodic variation in three directions, but these are more difficult to fabricate.

5. How are photonic crystals fabricated?

Photonic crystals can be fabricated using a variety of techniques, including lithography, chemical vapor deposition, and self-assembly. The specific method used depends on the type of photonic crystal and the desired properties. Fabrication can be challenging and requires precise control over the periodicity and composition of the material.