Forces involved in circular motion

by scottnobles
Tags: circular, forces, involved, motion
Share this thread:
scottnobles
Oct19-09, 07:15 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hey, i was looking at an explanation in a text book where it says a ball on the end of a string is swung horizontally in circular motion. There is a centripetal acceleration therefore tension acts as the centripetal force and acts along the radius of the circular path. What i want to know is that newtons third law states that every action has an opposite and equal reaction. So what is the reaction force of the tension acting on the string?

2. Relevant equations

F=mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
I can't seem to be able to figure out what it is but i think mass would not be the reaction force because mass is a scaler and has no direction. The other explanation would be centrifugal force but isn't centrifugal force a reaction force of centripetal force? which is what im trying to find? This is why im a little confused.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
rl.bhat
Oct19-09, 07:27 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,433
Moon rotates around the earth because the gravitational force of the earth pulls the moon towards it. It is action of earth on moon. Because of the initial horizontal velocity the moon is no falling towards the earth. As as reaction moon pulls the earth. Tides are the evidence of that.

Register to reply