Generator Shaft Power (Input) to Generator Out

by infinite_gbps
Tags: generator, input, power, shaft
Share this thread:
infinite_gbps
Oct20-09, 02:58 PM
P: 16
Hi,

I am working on a project and my friend said to me the gas turbine shaft power is 'x' amount of power. It is directly coupled to a generator so the power to the generator is the same 'x' amount of power.

How does that shaft power relate to the output of the generator? The shaft spins the rotor shaft with the same power due to direct coupling but I'm missing the direct relation between the two.

The question may not be stated properly but please bare with me. Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
FredGarvin
Oct20-09, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
The generator will put out some level of power lower than the SHP required to drive it due to inefficiencies of the generator itself. Losses in the generator coupled with things like rotor windage all combine to require more power to drive it than what you get out of it.

Register to reply