Please help - Gravity v/& Acceleration

by AlisonArulia
Tags: acceleration, gravity, v or and
AlisonArulia
Oct23-09, 08:27 AM
P: 17
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with this as I am having a problem sorting all this out.

I have been told that Gravity and acceration are the same thing. It was explained to me by thinking about droping a ball in a lift (that was is space so no gravity) and the ball would act as if it was being pulled to the floor by gravity.

OK, I sort of understand this.

But I was also told that if a swing a stone on a string around y head, then the stone is affected by gravity towards the centre of the spining. ie. towards me. But I can't be producing gravity, so what is happening please.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Alison
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
A.T.
Oct23-09, 08:40 AM
P: 3,543
Quote Quote by AlisonArulia View Post
I have been told that Gravity and acceration are the same thing.
Not really the same thing. Accelerated frames are equivalent to frames at rest in a gravitational field.
Quote Quote by AlisonArulia View Post
But I was also told that if a swing a stone on a string around y head, then the stone is affected by gravity towards the centre of the spining. ie. towards me. But I can't be producing gravity, so what is happening please.
You are producing "artificial" gravity. For someone living in the stone it would the same as being at rest on the surface of a planet.
AlisonArulia
Oct23-09, 08:46 AM
P: 17
oooooo. I get it now.
Thank you so much.

Register to reply