Angular acceleration problem

In summary, to find the time required for the flywheel to complete the first 11 of the 22 revolutions, you can use the equation ωf^2 = ωi^2 + 2αθ, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and θ is the angular displacement. Since the angular acceleration is constant, you can set θ = 11 revolutions = 22π radians and solve for t to find the time. This will give you the time required for the flywheel to complete the first 11 revolutions.
tigerlili

Homework Statement

A flywheel turns through 22 rev as it slows from an angular speed of 6.5 rad/s to a stop. (a) Assuming a constant angular acceleration, find the time for it to come to rest. (b) What is its angular acceleration? (c) How much time is required for it to complete the first 11 of the 22 revolutions?

Homework Equations

n revolutions = 2npi radians

2npi= 1/2 alpha(t^2)
omega final^2 = omega initial^2 + 2alpha (2npi)

The Attempt at a Solution

i already got parts a and b, but i am confused about part c
the problem states that the angular acceleration is constant, so why can't i just use the kinematic analogue that i used to find the time in part a to find part c. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Part c of this problem requires you to use the relation between angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration, which is given by the equation ωf^2 = ωi^2 + 2αθ, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and θ is the angular displacement.

Since the angular acceleration is constant, you can use this equation to find the time for the first 11 revolutions by setting θ = 11 revolutions = 22π radians and solving for t. This will give you the time required for the flywheel to complete the first 11 revolutions.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

In part c, the question is asking for the time it takes for the flywheel to complete the first 11 revolutions, not just come to a stop. Therefore, you cannot simply use the same kinematic equation that you used in part a, as that only applies to the entire motion from start to finish. Instead, you need to use the equation for angular displacement, which is given by theta = theta initial + omega initial t + 1/2 alpha t^2. By setting theta equal to 11 revolutions (22*pi radians), you can solve for the time it takes for the flywheel to complete the first 11 revolutions. This will give you the answer for part c.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the change in rotational speed of an object over time.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the formula a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of rotation, and α is angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement. In simpler terms, angular acceleration is how fast an object's rotational speed is changing, while angular velocity is how fast it is rotating.

4. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time, or by using the formula α = (ω2 - ω1) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ω2 is final angular velocity, ω1 is initial angular velocity, and t is the change in time.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular acceleration?

Some examples of angular acceleration include a spinning top, a rotating merry-go-round, a swinging pendulum, and a spinning figure skater pulling in their arms to increase their rotational speed.