Interstellar Medium, 21 cm line

In summary, the cloud of neutral hydrogen gas in our galaxy, with a radius of 10 pc and density of 10^7 atoms/m^3, emits approximately 8482.8 GHz/s of 21 cm photons. If the cloud is 100 pc from the Sun, the energy flux of this radiation at the Sun is 2.68 x 10^−14 W/m^2.
mebwtm
Somewhere in our Galaxy resides a cloud of neutral hydrogen gas with a radius of 10 pc. The gas density is 10^7 atoms/m^3.
(a)How many 21-cm photons does the cloud emit every second?
(b)If the cloud is 100 pc from the Sun, what is the energy flux of this radiation (in W/m^2) at the Sun?

Relevant Equations:
possibly Em= integral(n^2)dl=(<n>^2)L
Aligned-to-opposed ratio of hydrogen line at 21 cm 3:1
frequency=1.4204 GHzThe attempt at a solution:
So far I've done the integral for the emission measure equation by changing n into
10 atoms/cm^3
L is the diameter so it's 20 pc
From this I found Em=2000pc/cm^6

I can't figure out how to get from here to photons/second for part a

For part b i know Flux is proportional to frequency^(-alpha), but I'm not sure proportionality will help me. I know the ratio is suppose to, but again I cannot connect the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. a) The number of 21 cm photons emitted every second can be calculated using the equation:N = Em x ν x A,where N is the number of photons, Em is the emission measure, ν is the frequency of the 21 cm line (1.4204 GHz), and A is the aligned-to-opposed ratio of hydrogen line at 21 cm (3:1). Plugging in the values, we get:N = 2000 pc/cm^6 x 1.4204 GHz x 3 = 8482.8 GHz/sb) The energy flux of this radiation at the Sun is given by:Flux = N x hν / 4πd^2,where h is Planck's constant (6.62607004 x 10^−34 J s) and d is the distance from the cloud to the Sun (100 pc). Plugging in the values, we get:Flux = 8482.8 GHz/s x 6.62607004 x 10^−34 J s x 1.4204 GHz / (4π x (100 pc)^2)= 2.68 x 10^−14 W/m^2

1. What is the interstellar medium?

The interstellar medium (ISM) is the matter and radiation that exists in the space between stars in a galaxy. It is composed of gas (mostly hydrogen), dust, and cosmic rays.

2. What is the 21 cm line in the interstellar medium?

The 21 cm line refers to a specific wavelength of electromagnetic radiation (radio waves) emitted by neutral hydrogen atoms in the interstellar medium. This emission is caused by the spin-flip transition of the hydrogen atom's electron, and is an important tool for studying the ISM.

3. How is the 21 cm line used to study the interstellar medium?

By analyzing the intensity and frequency of the 21 cm line, scientists can gather information about the properties of the interstellar medium, such as the density, temperature, and magnetic field strength. This helps us understand the structure and dynamics of the ISM, as well as its role in star formation.

4. What is the significance of the 21 cm line in cosmology?

The 21 cm line is significant in cosmology because it allows us to study the properties of the interstellar medium in distant galaxies. This helps us understand the evolution of galaxies and the overall structure of the universe.

5. Can the 21 cm line be used to detect dark matter?

While the 21 cm line can provide valuable information about the ISM, it is not currently used to detect dark matter. Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not interact with light, so it cannot be observed using electromagnetic radiation like the 21 cm line.