Register to reply

Distance Traveled By A Car-Kinematics Problem

Share this thread:
haengbon
Oct29-09, 11:13 AM
P: 38
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a car traveling due east on a straight road and accelerates at a constant rate for 10(s) increasing its velocity from rest to 40 m/s. It then travels at a constant velocity for 5s and accelerates at a steady rate for the next 5s to a velocity of 20m/s. It travels at this velocity for 10s and then accelerates rapidly to a stop at a time of 2s. What is the total distance traveled by the car?

All I know is, the answer NEEDS TO BE 770m. I'm trying to find the soltuion :(

2. Relevant equations

none /:)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving it first by drawing a diagram and then , paired up (40 m/s, 10s), (40m/s,5s) , (20m/s,5s), (20m/s,10s), (v=?,2s)

then, I solved for the acceleration for each with V=Vo + at. after which, I solved for each of their distances with V(^2) = Vo(^2) + 2ad.

for example,

G: 40 m/s , 10s

V = Vo+ at
40 = 0 + a(10)
a = 4 m/s^2

V^2 = Vo2 + 2ad
1600 = 0 + 2(4)d
d = 200 m

I did the same thing with all the others and after reaching (20 m/s,10s), I got 900. I stopped there and didn't solve further cause I thought I wouldn't get the right answer anymore even if I did solve for (v=?,2s) .

Can someone please guide me? :( I need to find out how to solve this because it would most likely be in the exam I need to pass just days away :( It looked simple at first but I'm going crazy solving it O.o
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Climate change increases risk of crop slowdown in next 20 years
Researcher part of team studying ways to better predict intensity of hurricanes
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
ApexOfDE
Oct29-09, 11:26 AM
P: 122
Do you double-check your calculation? If yes but you still have wrong answer, please post your full solution.
rl.bhat
Oct29-09, 11:27 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,439
Draw the time-velocity graph.
To find the total distance traveled by the car, find the area bounded by the graph with x-axis. It contains 2 triangles, two rectangles and one trapezium.

haengbon
Oct29-09, 09:33 PM
Distance Traveled By A Car-Kinematics Problem

how do I draw a time-velocity graph :((? I'm sorry but I really don't know how to -___-
haengbon
Oct29-09, 09:33 PM
Quote Quote by ApexOfDE View Post
Do you double-check your calculation? If yes but you still have wrong answer, please post your full solution.
I did and I'm sure It's wrong :D I think my formulas is wrong
VelvetRebel
Oct29-09, 09:56 PM
P: 17
Are 2 of your accelerations negative? If not, then I believe this is where you are making the mistake. For example, if you are going from 40 m/s to 20 m/s in 5s, this will have a negative acceleration since you are decreasing in velocity.
rl.bhat
Oct29-09, 09:59 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,439
Take time on x-axis and velocity in y-axis.
Answer to the first part is correct.
For second part, d2 = v*t.
For third part vi = 40 m/s and vf = 20 m/s. Do the calculation as in the first part.
repeat the same thing for reaming parts.
haengbon
Oct30-09, 03:48 AM
Quote Quote by VelvetRebel View Post
Are 2 of your accelerations negative? If not, then I believe this is where you are making the mistake. For example, if you are going from 40 m/s to 20 m/s in 5s, this will have a negative acceleration since you are decreasing in velocity.
when velocity changes and decreases does that mean it has a negative acceleration? because it's slowing down right?

Quote Quote by rl.bhat View Post
Take time on x-axis and velocity in y-axis.
Answer to the first part is correct.
Fro second part, d2 = v*t.
For third part vi = 40 m/s and vf = 20 m/s. Do the calculation as in the first part.
repeat the same thing for reaming parts.
I tried this and it worked :) thank you thank you!

Register to reply