Moebius Function: Prime Values & Relationship

• Thread starter eljose79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Thus, the bound I gave is equivalent to RH.In summary, the Moebius function has a value of 1 if n=1, a value of 0 if n is not square-free, and a value of (-1)^j if n is prime factored with j distinct primes. It is also related to the prime counting function and can be used to solve the Riemann hypothesis.
eljose79
I,am looking for several information about the moebius function...specially its values for x equal to prime and if there is a relationship between this function and the prime number coutnign function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moebius mu function

For n in Z+: mu(1)=1, mu(n)=0 if n is not square-free, and mu(p1p2...pj)=(-1)^j, where the pj are distinct positive primes.

I don't know what a prime number counting function is. But the definition of the Moebius function given by Ad Infinitum Lumberjack seems to say that mu(prime)=-1.

I am about half sure that John Baez discusses the Moebius function somewhere in his extensive website.

a suitably refined google search for mobius function will provide the answers to all your queries.

Janitor said:
But the definition of the Moebius function given by Ad Infinitum Lumberjack seems to say that mu(prime)=-1.

Yea... Sorry I wasn't clear enough there.. Hopefully this will clear it up a bit more:

mu(n) =

{ 1 ... if n=1
{ 0 ... if p^2|n (p^2 divides n) for some prime p
{ (-1)^j ... if n=p1*p2*...*pj where the pj are distinct primes (n is prime factored)

Last edited:
Hi, there is most definitely a relation to the mobius function and the prime counting function. It can be shown that the statement [tex]\sum_{n\leq x}\mu (n)=O(x^{1/2+\epsilon})[/tex] is equivalent to the Riemann hypothesis, which dictates the error term in the prime number theorem. You should be able to find more infor on RH and the PNT easily enough.

ps. for Janitor, the prime counting function is [tex]\pi(x)=\sum_{p\ prime,\ p\leq x}1[/tex], in other words, [tex]\pi(x)[/tex] is the number of primes less than or equal to x.

Last edited:
Good deal. :smile:

Thanks a lot for your replies...

so knowing moebius function would be equivalent to solve Riemann hypothesis?..how interesting.

Yes, actually [tex]\frac{1}{\zeta(s)}=\sum_{n\geq1}\frac{\mu(n)}{n^s}[/tex] for real part s greater than 1. If the bound I gave for the mobius function were true, you could use this to show this Dirichlet series is absolutely convergent on [tex]Re(s)>1/2+\epsilon[/tex], (any [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]), which means [tex]1/{\zeta(s)}[/tex] has no poles in this region and therefore zeta has no zeros here.

1. What is the Moebius Function?

The Moebius Function, also known as the Moebius Mu Function, is a number-theoretic function that is defined for all positive integers. It is denoted by the symbol μ and takes on values of -1, 0, or 1 depending on the prime factors of the input.

2. What is the relationship between the Moebius Function and prime numbers?

The Moebius Function is closely related to prime numbers. It takes on the value of -1 if the input has an odd number of distinct prime factors, 1 if the input is a square-free positive integer, and 0 if the input has a repeated prime factor. This makes it a useful tool in studying the distribution of prime numbers.

3. Can the Moebius Function be extended to non-positive integers?

No, the Moebius Function is only defined for positive integers. It cannot be extended to non-positive integers because the concept of prime factorization does not apply to negative numbers or zero.

4. How is the Moebius Function used in number theory?

The Moebius Function has many applications in number theory, including in the study of prime numbers, multiplicative number theory, and the Riemann zeta function. It is also used in combinatorics, probability theory, and other areas of mathematics.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Moebius Function?

Yes, there are still many open problems related to the Moebius Function, including the Riemann Hypothesis and the Goldbach Conjecture. Additionally, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand the properties and behavior of the Moebius Function and its relationship to other mathematical functions.