Center of Mass of draining Soda can

In summary: Yes, of course. I even gave you the expression for m_L. All you need to do is solve for h at minimum y. hint: what is the rate of change of y with h? What is dy/dh at minimum y?
jpalmer91

Homework Statement

A uniform soda can of mass 0.140kg is 12.0cm tall and filled with 1.31kg of soda. Then small holes are drilled in the top and the bottom (with negligible loss of metal) to drain the soda. The can is placed upright such that the soda only drains from the bottom hole. What is the height h of the center of mass of the can and contents (a) initially and (b) after the can loses all the soda? (c) What happens to h as the soda drains out? (d) If x is the height of the remaining soda at any given instant, find x when the center of mass reaches it lowest point.

Homework Equations

rcom=1/M[tex]\Sigma[/tex]miri

M=total mass of the system

The Attempt at a Solution

a) hi = 6cm = .060m
b) hf = 6cm = .060m
c) h will decrease as the soda begins the drain from the can. However, as more and more soda drains over time, there will eventually be a point when h reaches a minimum and then begins to increase. Once all the soda is drained h will return to 6cm.
d) Move 1/M to the other side of the equation, such that:
MRcom= [tex]\Sigma[/tex]canmiri+[tex]\Sigma[/tex]sodamiri

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]canmiri = constant = (.140kg)*(.120m)= .0168kg*m

I think I need to rewrite a [tex]\Sigma[/tex]sodamiri as a function such that the height of the draining soda varies with the height?

Then I could find xmin and then get the center of mass of the system.

Can anyone help me through the rest of this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the equation of the centre of mass. You can use the symmetry of the container and column of liquid to determine it.

Let h be the height of the liquid. Let y = 0 be the bottom and y=12 be the top. The cm of the can is at y=6. The cm of the liquid is h/2. The mass of the liquid is mL = m0(h/12). So the centre of mass of the can + liquid is a point y such that

[tex]m_L(h/2 - y) + m_c(6-y) = 0[/tex]

See if you can find the value h for minimum y from that.

AM

still missing this somehow. isn't ml varying as well as y?

jpalmer91 said:
still missing this somehow. isn't ml varying as well as y?
Yes, of course. I even gave you the expression for m_L. All you need to do is solve for h at minimum y. hint: what is the rate of change of y with h? What is dy/dh at minimum y?

AM

1. What is the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can?

The "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can is the point at which the weight of the can is evenly distributed. It is the point where the can would balance if it were placed on a pivot.

2. How is the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can calculated?

The "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual mass elements of the can. This is typically done using calculus and integration.

3. Does the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can change as the can drains?

Yes, the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can changes as the can drains because the distribution of mass within the can changes. As the liquid inside the can drains out, the "Center of Mass" moves closer to the bottom of the can.

4. What factors can affect the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can?

The "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can can be affected by the shape and size of the can, the amount and distribution of liquid inside the can, and any external forces acting on the can, such as shaking or tilting.

5. Why is it important to understand the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can?

Understanding the "Center of Mass" of a draining soda can is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows for the prediction and control of the can's movements and stability, which can be useful in designing and optimizing packaging and transportation methods.