Banked race track

by superdave
Tags: banked, race, track
Share this thread:
superdave
Nov4-09, 11:52 AM
P: 141
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Car is driven on a banked circular racing track. Radius R, angle theta.

a) For what speed is the track designed (if there were no friction the car would not slide)
b) If the track is wet, u=0.15, what are the minimum and maximum speeds car must be driven so it stays on the track.

2. Relevant equations
a=v^2/R (centripetal)
a=sin (theta) * g
a_f=u*g*cos(theta) (for part b, friction)

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, here's what I don't understand.

Centripetal force pulls the car towards the center. And gravity pulls the car down, again towards the center. So though I know they oppose each other, I can't figure out why they would oppose each other since it seems they don't.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Delphi51
Nov4-09, 04:07 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
In my experience these banked road questions are best worked with from the point of view of the car, where you have a centrifugal force rather than a centripetal one. Further to make sense of it, you have to find the components of both forces that are normal to the road and parallel to it. The total normal force determines the friction force. Then you work with the 3 forces parallel to the road to find your answers.

Register to reply