Math Grad schools with no application fee

by stubbypeeps33
Tags: application, grad, math, schools
stubbypeeps33
Nov4-09, 03:27 PM
P: 3
I'm currently applying to grad school for a masters in pure math, and saw that carnegie mellon has no application fee. Can you guys think of any other decent math grad programs that have no application fees?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
ice109
Nov4-09, 08:21 PM
P: 1,705
that really shouldn't determine where you apply. application fees are really really negligible compared to ... the rest of you life.
sokrates
Nov4-09, 08:30 PM
P: 480
if you find it hard to afford application fees you can e-mail graduate program heads, or even department heads and tell them about it.

If there's an application fee, there's usually a waiver procedure in good schools. I'd expect they would be even more sympathetic if you are a good applicant.

good luck

qspeechc
Nov5-09, 08:22 AM
P: 792

Math Grad schools with no application fee

Quote Quote by stubbypeeps33 View Post
I'm currently applying to grad school for a masters in pure math, and saw that carnegie mellon has no application fee. Can you guys think of any other decent math grad programs that have no application fees?
Why, do you think there's something dodgy about there being no application fee? According to this:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ankings/page+2
Carnegie Mellon is ranked joint 33rd of pure math departments, with a score of 3.6/5.
And yes, according to their web page there is no application fee:
http://www.math.cmu.edu/graduate/admissions.html

I did a bit of searching around. For universitities of a similar ranking to Carnegie Mellon here are the application fees:
Ohio State: $5
Univ. of Utah: $55
CUNY: $125
University of California--Davis: $70
Rice University: $70
Pennsylvania State University--University Park: $45
Indiana University--Bloomington: $50

OK, so in my limited search I could not find another university with no application fee. However the other universities have fees ranging from $5 to $125, quite a wide distribution for only 7 universities don't you think?

Register to reply