Register to reply

Java Scanner issues

by jjc
Tags: java, scanner
Share this thread:
jjc
Nov5-09, 11:46 AM
P: 21
I am having some trouble with the Java Scanner to read input from the keyboard.

I am trying to keep my input cleaned up and secure, so I am checking for the right type and value, and clearing the input buffer if it isn't. I also restart the prompt loop if it isn't right, so they can try again. I am using the .nextLine() method to clear the input buffer.

The problem that I am seeing is that I sometimes don't get a repeated prompt until I enter in a second input. Things seem to work fine without the nextLine() calls, but then I always feel like I am leaving a dangling possible problem.

I was also trying to use combinations of while(!talkToMe.hasNextInt()) loops to try and get away from my Flag system shown below, but it didn't quite seem to work so I stuck with the flags.

I have read through the Java API documentation but that didn't seem to help, and I have done other searches for explanations of the Scanner object. It just feels like I am missing some key element of how the Scanner class is working. Is it an interrupt driven thing? A sit-and-wait-for-the-input thing? These questions might be the root of it; perhaps by executing .nextLine() it is actually waiting instead of going to the next statement.

Thanks for the help,
JJC

Here is a code chunk at the moment:

private int createPin1 (String prompt) {
	int pin1=-1;
	boolean flag = false;
	while (!flag){
		talkToMe.nextLine();   //not sure if this line is going to mess things up.
		do {
			System.out.print(""+ prompt);   //Asking for pin number.
		}while (!talkToMe.hasNextInt());

pin1 = talkToMe.nextInt();
		talkToMe.nextLine();  //not sure if this might mess things up again.
		if (pin1 <= 0){
			System.out.println("Try again; please enter an integer > 0.");
			// System.out.println(""+ prompt);
		}else flag = true;
	}
	return pin1;
}
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker

Register to reply