by Molydood
Tags: mobile, version
Pythagorean
Dec21-09, 08:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
complaints:

1) I get a security error when I try to make a chess move on my iphone
2) I can't exit the iphone version to go to normal browser view (i.e. "Normal Version" button doesn't seem to work)
Saladsamurai
Dec21-09, 10:00 PM
P: 3,012
Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.
Redbelly98
Dec22-09, 06:19 AM
Mentor
P: 11,985
Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.
A workaround would be to bookmark the My PF link. Or remember that typing "/usercp.php" after www.physicsforums.com will get you there.
Saladsamurai
Dec22-09, 09:33 AM
P: 3,012
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
A workaround would be to bookmark the My PF link. Or remember that typing "/usercp.php" after www.physicsforums.com will get you there.
I bookmarked "www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php" and it worked great! Thanks RB!
ranger
Dec26-09, 10:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,686
I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.
cristo
Dec29-09, 11:20 AM
Mentor
P: 8,287
A couple of suggestions: could you add a report button, and also the date of each post as well as the time?
dE_logics
Dec29-09, 09:39 PM
P: 730
Why not just use Opera and open the original PF page?
Jack21222
Jan9-10, 09:52 AM
P: 771
I'm just here to complain that the "normal version" button at the bottom is a cruel joke. It simply refreshed the page and keeps the mobile version.

I'm using an iPhone for what it's worth.

I really hate that we can't select a page to jump to on multi-page threads. I have to click through one by one to get to the most recent post.
MATLABdude
Feb4-10, 02:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Quote Quote by ranger View Post
I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.
If you tap inside the text box to get the blinking cursor and then press and hold (like when you select text, copy / paste etc.) and then drag and hold to the bottom / top of the screen, you can scroll inside the text entry form. If you want to get at the very bottom of the text box, you sometimes need to type a character to get the browser to scroll there.

I love my iPhone and have gotten used to the virtual keyboard, but it can be a PITA every once in a while (like on this forum).

And my pet peeve about PFmobile: I can only see the time when a post was posted. But there's no date!
Felipe61
Feb8-10, 12:26 PM
P: n/a
how far is the mobile version of PF currently?
WiFO215
Apr22-10, 01:52 PM
P: 413
I still cannot view the normal version of PF off of the iPhone. When I click the link, the page just reloads as is.
rhody
Apr22-10, 02:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Just a note to Greg Bernhardt, when I entered this thread from a normal PC I got an ID and password prompt, and with cancel it still let me in. I assumed it should since I see many folks here who are general members and not Mentor's or Test people.

Just thought I would mention it.

Rhody...
Kerrie
Apr22-10, 09:19 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,188
Love the mobile version on my iPod touch!
Greg Bernhardt
Apr22-10, 09:34 PM
Admin
P: 8,534
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Just thought I would mention it.
Rhody...
Thanks, got it fixed
Char. Limit
May23-10, 12:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,930
I hate to necro, but I still have one issue with PF Mobile and I don't want to start a new thread... polls. I can't vote in them, I can't see them, I can't even see if a thread contains one. If you could add this function, it would be great. Other than that, PF Mobile is great! (iPod Touch)
fuzzyfelt
Oct23-10, 03:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 742
Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
I bookmarked "www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php" and it worked great! Thanks RB!
I'm not able to get this to work, should it still?
Jack21222
Oct31-10, 03:29 PM
P: 771
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
yes, there is a link at the bottom that says "use normal view"
That button does absolutely nothing. I reported that problem around a year ago, and it still does nothing.

I'd tell you exactly when I reported it, but the mobile view DOESN'T SHOW DATES OF POSTS, so I can't tell you.

It's wonderful to see that somebody made a post at 11:29am, but my response will be quite different if it was made on October 30th, 2010 versus April 23rd, 2005.

With the prevalence of necroposting on this board, it's important to see the dates. And then you make it impossible to switch to the regular view which does show the dates.

Plus, it costs me more of my data plan to scroll through pages of posts one by one versus just clicking on the one I want to go to.

For all if these reasons, I hate the mobile view, and I don't like being taunted by the "normal version" at the bottom which simply refreshes the page in mobile view.
JaredJames
Oct31-10, 06:52 PM
P: 3,390
This is old so I'm just going from basics here. Some mobiles automatically switch to available mobile views.

The button at the bottom *may* just be altering the URL to the normal PF one and not the mobile one you are currently on. If the phone automatically goes to the mobile version it will see you trying to access PF via the normal address and switch to the mobile version (something of a nasty loop). However, this is an issue with the phone not the system. I can turn off mobile view on my phone so the mobile doesn't attempt to use mobile versions of pages. If I view the mobile version of the site, and then disable mobile view in settings and then hit the "view normal version" at the bottomn, it displays the normal version of the page.

I hope you can understand what I've said there. I think most phones give you the choice of either disabling mobile view or entering the non-mobile url. It sounds like you have a setting which automatically uses mobile versions. Check if you can disable this, if not, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to remedy the problem. Based on it working for me, it isn't an issue with the mobile version of PF.

Register to reply