Register to reply

Space elevator ? How can it work?

by RonRyan85
Tags: space elevator idea
Share this thread:
Gfellow
Jan26-10, 03:40 PM
P: 18
I agree with SpaceShaft. A very interesting thread.
SpaceShaft
Mar14-10, 03:50 PM
P: 9
russ_watters you state that:

"it doesn't satisfy the goal of a "space elevator", which is to lift a payload into orbit."

are you implying that a CNT tether based space elevator will put things in orbit?

if yes can you explain how? since I don't believe that will be the case.
russ_watters
Mar14-10, 04:13 PM
Mentor
P: 22,301
Quote Quote by SpaceShaft View Post
russ_watters you state that:

"it doesn't satisfy the goal of a "space elevator", which is to lift a payload into orbit."

are you implying that a CNT tether based space elevator will put things in orbit?

if yes can you explain how? since I don't believe that will be the case.
The goal of a space elevator (whatever it is made of) is to lift objects to about 22,000 miles, where just by being there puts them in geostationary orbit.

Could you explain what you think the purpose of a space elevator is? By now, I'm pretty certain you have no idea, since after repeated requests, you have yet to explain what your idea's goal is/what it does.

The opening paragraph of your website says:
At this website we want to introduce a new method for reaching orbital space. From the employment of this method, a resulting structure can be deployed, which can be definitely cataloged as a Space Elevator.
This implies you think that "reaching orbital space" (presumably, you mean the height of a low-earth-orbit satellite: 110+ miles) accomplishes something useful. Tell me what you think it accomplishes!

One of your drawings appears to show a space shuttle docked with it...
SpaceShaft
Mar14-10, 04:37 PM
P: 9
I have discussed this matter with other participants at the conferences. Bringing up stuff up to the counterweight at GEO means only to pile stuff at that altitude. The CNT tether, just like the SpaceShaft only brings things to a certain altitude from where they have to be launched.

Only Rockets are capable of fulfilling both requirements. That is; bringing a payload up to an operational altitude and giving the object enough velocity to make of it a satellite capable of counteracting gravity.

I will like to point out that in the event that deployment of a CNT tether to GEO Is unfeasible the only “plan B” out there is the SpaceShaft. It may not be as sexy as the popular system but it will work.

To your question: Basically it accomplishes the same thing.
russ_watters
Mar14-10, 04:50 PM
Mentor
P: 22,301
That's what I thought: You don't get it and you aren't listening. Here it is for the last time:

Bring an object up to 100 miles and it falls back to earth, accomplishing nothing (well - unless the goal is to dig a big hole).
Bring an object up to 22,000 miles and it is in orbit, which is very useful.

The idea that things "pile up" at the top of a space elevator is very silly, since it only takes very small thrusters to move objects around the globe once in orbit at the top of a space elevator. That's nothing compared to the massive rockets required just to achieve orbit after leaving the top of your tower.

Here is the wiki on space elevators, and you really should read it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

You've made other conceptual errors that you should want to correct ("Bringing up stuff up to the counterweight at GEO" is also wrong - read the wiki and learn for yourself what is wrong about it)and it willl help as a starting point for learning about space elevators. You need to start from scratch because what you think know now is worse than knowing nothing: what you think you know now is basically all wrong.

This thread has become all crackpot nonsense and is therefore locked.

Register to reply