Surface area of a cone-inconsistency?

In summary, the surface area of a cone with a circular base can be calculated using the formula SA = \pi rs or SA = \pi r \sqrt{r^2 + h^2}. However, there seems to be an inconsistency when trying to approach the problem from a calculus standpoint. Some suggest using the integral 2\pi r dh, while others argue for a different approach. The "cut and flatten it out" method is also mentioned, which relies on the fact that cones are "developable surfaces" and can be flattened. However, there is some debate about whether this method is valid. Further discussion explores the use of this method in calculating the surface area of other shapes, such as a helicoid.
betelguese05
Surface area of a cone--inconsistency?

Geometry tells us that the surface area of a cone with a circular base is

[tex]SA = \pi rs[/tex]

where s is the slant height of the cone, or

[tex]SA = \pi r \sqrt{r^2 + h^2}[/tex]

Take a cone with a circular base of radius 1 and a height of 4. This formula tells us that

[tex]SA = \pi\sqrt{17}[/tex]

However, trying to approach this problem from a calculus standpoint:

[tex]SA = \int 2 \pi r dh[/tex]

Considering the cone as a triangle for a moment, we have the point (0,4) on the h-axis and (1,0) and the r-axis (where h is the analogue of y and r the analogue of x), and a line connecting them.

This leads to a linear relationship between r and h, such that:

[tex]h = -4r+4[/tex]

or

[tex]r = (0.25)(4-h)[/tex]

Integrating:

[tex]2\pi\int^{4}_{0}(0.25)(4-h)dh[/tex]

=[tex]0.5\pi(4h - 0.5h^2)[/tex]

evaluated from h=0 to 4. However, this yields [tex]4\pi[/tex], not [tex]\pi\sqrt{17}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org

betelguese05 said:
However, trying to approach this problem from a calculus standpoint:

[tex]SA = \int 2 \pi r dh[/tex]

This is incorrect. Check your text for the integral to do a surface area.

I disagree. This would be analogous to a volume of revolution--rather, we are taking a surface area. Each disk has radius r and therefore circumference 2*pi*r; since r varies as a function of h, we can evaluate the integral of 2*pi*r*dh from 0 to 4.

betelguese05 said:
I disagree. This would be analogous to a volume of revolution--rather, we are taking a surface area. Each disk has radius r and therefore circumference 2*pi*r; since r varies as a function of h, we can evaluate the integral of 2*pi*r*dh from 0 to 4.

The circle has circumference r but the height of the small disk is not dh, it's

[tex]ds = \sqrt{dr^2 + dh^2} = \sqrt{\left(\frac{dr}{dh}\right)^2 + 1}~dh[/tex].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_of_revolution

Ah, well done. Thanks.

Here's another way to find the surface area. If the cone has base radius r and height h, then the "slant height" is [itex]R= \sqrt(r^2+ h^2)[/itex]. Imagine cutting the cone along a line from the base to the tip. Flatten it out to form part of a circle. The circle it fits into has radius R, circumference [itex]2\pi R[/itex], and area [itex]\pi R^2[/itex]. The base circle of the cone has radius r and so circumference [itex]2\pi r[/itex]. That means that the "flattened out" cone takes up [itex](2\pi r)/(2\pi R)= r/R[/itex] of the entire circle and so its area is that fraction of the area of the entire disk: [itex](r/R)(\pi R^2)= \pi Rr= \pi\sqrt{r^2+ h^2}r[/itex].

One thing that has always bothered me about the "cut and flatten it out" method is the assertion that it will, in fact, flatten out. I agree it is "obvious" that a cone will and a sphere won't, but I don't recollect ever seeing a convincing argument for it.

LCKurtz said:
One thing that has always bothered me about the "cut and flatten it out" method is the assertion that it will, in fact, flatten out. I agree it is "obvious" that a cone will and a sphere won't, but I don't recollect ever seeing a convincing argument for it.

Maybe that every where you need to 'bend' the cone is along a straight line (tip to base)? If it is not a straight line it will not bend properly.

LCKurtz said:
A cone has the property that, at any point, there exist a line through the point that is contained in the cone (the line through the vertex of the cone). Such a surface is called a "developable surface" (also "ruled" surface) and it can be shown, in differential geometry, that any "developable surface" can be flattened.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developable_surface

Last edited by a moderator:

In the area formula.What is the t?

IPhO' 2008 said:
In the area formula.What is the t?
? What area formula are you talking about? I can find no "t" in any formula anyone has mentioned here.

In a physics assignment earlier this year I was asked to prove that for a shell of a sphere with charge q and charge density function ρ(x),

[tex]dq = \rho (r)4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]

What I did was I cut the spherical shell in half, then I flattened out each half of the shell. Of course, stretching would have to be involved in this flattening process, so you get two frustums (like a 3D trapezium thingy). The inner radius, 'r' of the shell contributes to the smaller flat side of the frustum, and the outer radius, 'R', of the shell contributes to the larger flat side of the frustum. Due to circular symmetry the two flat sides of the frustum are circular.

The advantage of flattening it out is that the height of the frustum becomes [tex]dr[/tex].

The smaller side has area [tex]4\pi r^2[/tex]

The larger side has area [tex]4\pi R^2[/tex]

As [tex]dr \to 0[/tex], [tex]R \to r[/tex], so by the squeeze theorem the volume of the frustum approaches the volume of a cylinder with radius r = R and height dr.

Therefore the volume of the shell is [tex]4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]

And from an application of [tex]\rho (r) = \frac{dq}{dv}[/tex] the result follows.

What do you think of this?

HallsofIvy said:
A cone has the property that, at any point, there exist a line through the point that is contained in the cone (the line through the vertex of the cone). Such a surface is called a "developable surface" (also "ruled" surface) and it can be shown, in differential geometry, that any "developable surface" can be flattened.

It makes me wonder... Seems to me like for helicoid there exist at any point line through that point that is contained in the helicoid - is helicoid a developable surface?

Edit: I hope I am correctly using name of helicoid, I am thinking about surface that can be made by rotating and shifting line segment perpendicular to the line that is axis of its rotation.

Edit 2: OK, I think I can see what is my problem, I was trying to make it rectangular after developing, while it makes nice circle, just 'multilayered'.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cone?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cone is A = πr(r + √(h^2 + r^2)), where A is the surface area, r is the radius, and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do you explain the inconsistency in calculating the surface area of a cone?

The inconsistency in calculating the surface area of a cone lies in the fact that different methods may be used to find the surface area. For example, some methods may include the base of the cone in the surface area calculation, while others may only include the curved surface. This can lead to discrepancies in the final result.

3. Can the inconsistency in calculating the surface area of a cone be avoided?

Yes, the inconsistency can be avoided by clearly specifying which method of calculation is being used. It is important to be consistent and use the same method throughout the calculation to ensure accurate results.

4. Is it necessary to include the base of the cone in the surface area calculation?

No, it is not necessary to include the base of the cone in the surface area calculation. It depends on the specific context and purpose of the calculation. For example, if the cone is being used as a container, the base may be included in the surface area calculation to determine the amount of material needed to cover the entire surface, including the base.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the surface area of a cone?

The surface area of a cone is commonly used in construction and engineering, such as in the design of cones for water tanks or traffic cones. It is also used in the manufacturing of cones for ice cream or cupcakes. Additionally, it is used in mathematical models and simulations, such as calculating the surface area of a volcano or a cone-shaped mountain.