What Determines the Spin of an Unpaired Electron in an Atom?

In summary, the spin of an unpaired electron in an atom is determined by external factors such as a magnetic field, but in the absence of these factors, it is considered random. The convention for writing the spin of the unpaired electron as +1/2 or -1/2 has no real-world significance.
pzona
In an atom with an unpaired electron, what determines the spin of the unpaired electron? When writing electron configurations, I know that writing the unpaired electron as having spins of +1/2 and -1/2 are equally correct, so does this mean that spin is random? If not, what factors influence it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In the absence of a magnetic field (or other spin to couple to), it'll be random, yeah.

They are random, especially if there is no external magnetic field.

I am not sure and unfortunately I have temporarily no acces to my GenChem books, but as far as I remember we usually list +1/2 as first, but that's just convention and it has nothing to do with the real world.

Edit: alxm was much faster, I started with answering other threads...

--
methods

Thanks for the responses. I usually draw unpaired electrons with a spin of +1/2 out of habit, glad to know that's the convention.

1. What is spin in unpaired electrons?

Spin in unpaired electrons refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron, which is a fundamental property of subatomic particles. It is one of the two quantum numbers that describe the state of an electron in an atom, the other being the orbital angular momentum.

2. How is spin in unpaired electrons related to magnetic properties?

The spin of an electron is directly related to its magnetic moment, which determines the degree to which it interacts with an external magnetic field. Unpaired electrons with the same spin direction have a stronger magnetic moment than paired electrons with opposite spin directions.

3. What causes an electron to have a spin?

The spin of an electron is an intrinsic property, meaning it does not arise from any physical motion. It is a fundamental characteristic of subatomic particles that cannot be explained by classical physics and must be described by quantum mechanics.

4. Can spin in unpaired electrons be observed?

While spin itself cannot be observed directly, its effects can be observed through experiments such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment. This experiment showed that electrons have two possible spin states, up or down, which can be detected by their deflection in a magnetic field.

5. How does spin in unpaired electrons affect chemical bonding?

Unpaired electrons, with their associated spin, play a crucial role in chemical bonding. Atoms with unpaired electrons are more likely to form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration. This is the basis for the concept of valence electrons and the formation of chemical bonds.