Calculating Final Temperature of Water and Iron Mixture

In summary, Homework Equations show that when an object is added to water of a different temperature, the temperature of the water will change.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

A piece of iron weighed at 120 grams at 95.0 degrees Celcius is added to 750ml water of 25.0 degrees Celcius. What is the final temperature of the water when it is equilibrated? Assume the dentisy of water is 1 g/ml. (Specific heat of water is 4.184 and specific heat of iron is .449).

Homework Equations

q=mc(delta t). In this case the q of iron is equal to the q of water.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my setup:

120*.449(x-95)=750*4.184(x-25)

Solving:
53.88x-5118.6=3138x-78450
53.88x=3138x-73331.4
-3084.12x=-73331.4
x=23.85

I know this is wrong, but I'm not sure if it's because I set this up wrong or did my calculations incorrectly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a sign error, the change in temperature from 95>x and 25->x must be different signs

I don't understand what you mean. I know that 23.85 implies that the temperature decreased for both the iron and water, and that is wrong.

mgb points out that there is a sign error in your original equation.

--

I think I forgot the qin=-qout concept. Let me try again.

120*.449(x-95)=-750*4.184(x-25)
53.88x-5118.6=-3138x+78450
3191.88x=83568.6

x=26.18 degrees Celcius

Is this what you were referring to?

Almost,
if one thing is cooling from 95deg to x then the change in T is (95-x)
then if the other is heating form 25 to X the change must be (x-25) which gives the different signs.

Putting a minus on one side is the same thing (or at least has the same effect)

I thought that in order to do the equation correctly, one must always subtract the initial temperature from the final temperature.

The change in temperature defines the heat flow, so heat in and heat out would have different signs.

I see. Thank you for checking out my question and taking the time to explain it. :)

1. How do you calculate final temperature?

To calculate the final temperature, you need to first determine the initial temperature and the amount of heat added or removed from the system. Then, use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat added or removed, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Finally, rearrange the formula to solve for the final temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) and varies depending on the substance.

3. Can you calculate final temperature without knowing the initial temperature?

No, in order to calculate the final temperature, you need to know the initial temperature of the system. This is because the change in temperature (ΔT) is a crucial part of the formula for calculating final temperature.

4. How does the mass of a substance affect the final temperature?

The mass of a substance directly affects the final temperature. The more mass there is, the more heat is needed to raise its temperature by a certain amount. This is reflected in the formula Q = mcΔT, where m represents the mass of the substance.

5. What are the units for final temperature?

The units for final temperature depend on the units used for the specific heat capacity and the change in temperature. If the specific heat capacity is in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) and the change in temperature is in degrees Celsius (°C), then the final temperature will be in degrees Celsius as well.