Question about ghosts/spirits


by kauai_diver
Tags: ghosts or spirits
Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking is offline
#19
Jul12-03, 06:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking's Avatar
P: 12,493
Originally posted by TENYEARS
This first reply was for kauai_diver(you posted as I was replying), the second was for you.
That would explain the confusion.[:D]

By the way dogs also experience this.
You have heard stories like this before?
Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking is offline
#20
Jul12-03, 07:15 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking's Avatar
P: 12,493
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Years ago there was a physicist who did experiments to look for paraphysical effects in cockroaches and fertilized chicken eggs. And ESP people laughed at him! They just assumed that paraphysics was a sole posession of human beings with their wonderful brains and minds.

But the physicist held that paraphysics was a law of nature arising from the quantum level, and therefore it should be found in simple creatures, and indeed might be easier to see where there was less complexity to blur the experiment. I think the physicist's name was Schmidt, does anyone else recall these experiments.
I didn't spot anything with a postive spin.

http://www.thegline.com/thought/2001/10-11-2001.htm

I have read some interesting reports that come from Stanford [I think...I will have to do a little digging to come up with the correct reference]. This team is claiming repeatable precognitive events. They go on to assign this ability to a primitive survival mechanism. As reported, a person watches a TV screen that displays pictures at a rate of about once every two or three seconds. The watchers reactions are monitored for certain stress indicators; i.e. skin resistance, brainwaves activity... I'm not sure about the key indicators here. Most of the pictures seen are calming, pleasant scenes of ocean views, rocky streams, cute kitties, etc. At random intervals, repulsive pictures e.g. terrible traffic accidents, industrial accidents, crime scenes and the like are thrown into the mix. The claim is that repeatedly, the person will react to the gory pictures about 1/3 of a second before they are shown. The lead scientist argues this is an evolved survival mechanism. For example, the ability to anticipate a surprise attack yields a maximum advantage at some critical time. We will have to see if this claim can be substantiated by others. I believe this is fairly recent work. I have only heard a little about it so far.
TENYEARS
TENYEARS is offline
#21
Jul12-03, 10:39 AM
P: 495
kauai_diver, I cannot enlighten you, but things that I understand are posted here on this forum in a few places. I like the thinking going on in this thread because it does not make a decision.



"A decision is what make when you do not understand." Me
username
username is offline
#22
Jul12-03, 04:49 PM
P: 234
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking

We have many pets; just cats and dogs now, but we have had up to 13 if you include the 4 goats and the horse. A normal part of having so many beasties is the inevitable trip to the vet for a bye bye shot. This is always hard and sad, but it comes with the turf. One day a few years ago we had to take one of our cats named Dirt to see Vicki the vet for his farewell shot. He was going into congestive heart failure and such. After doing this one is often left with a sense of the animal still being present. This would seem to be a normal reaction to losing a friend of 10 or 13 years. What got my attention though was the behavior of another one of our cats - Einstein.

Einstein is 13 and I have never seen him or any other cat do anything like this in my forty years of having pets. After returning from the trip with Dirt to the vet, we observed Einestein chasing something madly about the house. He appeared to be chasing a bug that hovered about a foot or two above his head. I assumed this since he was looking up, reaching, and jumping at something just above him. I watched him chase this thing all over the house for several minutes. Then, he came dashing through the living room in hot pursuit of his prey which then apparently went right through a closed door. Einstein, while visually focused on this invisible thing above his head, ran right into the door at full speed. He then paced madly until I let him out. He ran off into the darkness so I could no longer see what was happening.

I swear every word is true. I was and am at a loss to explain this strange behavior. Who knows? If such things are possible then this might explain what I witnessed. Iím not leaping to conclusions, but this whole episode was just too too strange.
Maybe kitty was bored?
username
username is offline
#23
Jul12-03, 05:12 PM
P: 234
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I didn't spot anything with a postive spin.

http://www.thegline.com/thought/2001/10-11-2001.htm

I have read some interesting reports that come from Stanford [I think...I will have to do a little digging to come up with the correct reference]. This team is claiming repeatable precognitive events. They go on to assign this ability to a primitive survival mechanism. As reported, a person watches a TV screen that displays pictures at a rate of about once every two or three seconds. The watchers reactions are monitored for certain stress indicators; i.e. skin resistance, brainwaves activity... I'm not sure about the key indicators here. Most of the pictures seen are calming, pleasant scenes of ocean views, rocky streams, cute kitties, etc. At random intervals, repulsive pictures e.g. terrible traffic accidents, industrial accidents, crime scenes and the like are thrown into the mix. The claim is that repeatedly, the person will react to the gory pictures about 1/3 of a second before they are shown. The lead scientist argues this is an evolved survival mechanism. For example, the ability to anticipate a surprise attack yields a maximum advantage at some critical time. We will have to see if this claim can be substantiated by others. I believe this is fairly recent work. I have only heard a little about it so far.
Sounds like an interesting line of experimentation.
If precognition does exist it figures it would play an very important role in natural selection. Do you know of any other experiments along this line of thought ?
Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking is offline
#24
Jul12-03, 08:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking's Avatar
P: 12,493
Originally posted by username
Maybe kitty was bored?
Except that now all he wants to do is to watch John Edwards the TV medium. [8)]
Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking is offline
#25
Jul12-03, 08:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking's Avatar
P: 12,493
Originally posted by username
Sounds like an interesting line of experimentation.
If precognition does exist it figures it would play an very important role in natural selection. Do you know of any other experiments along this line of thought ?
No. In fact I haven't even followed up on this one yet. If there was really anything to this I am sure we will be hearing more.
nevagil
nevagil is offline
#26
Jul13-03, 03:42 PM
nevagil's Avatar
P: 37
I usually confine myself to facts and act like an agnostic most my long life, but one experience about 20 yrs ago still has me wondering.
I dropped off a loved pet of 13 yrs to be put to sleep at the vet, and when leaving in my car about the time the dog may of been put to sleep I felt a flush rise up through my body, from feet to head and then leave with me suddenly crying.
Probably that was a unexpected rush of emotions for me, an old war veteran, but it also seemed to fit a suspiciously stretched wild idea that maybe the pet dog was saying goodbye to me in some strange way.
A lot of things in life don't make sense and my website of art and humor is often motivated by my curiousities in these areas. Unfortunately, science during my lifetime hasn't gotten much closer to answering these questions. Just gullible fanatics on one side and closed minded doubters on the other side.

Gil of someplace called www.surrealcity.com and the high desert and sometimes humid spots.
username
username is offline
#27
Jul13-03, 05:00 PM
P: 234
If precognition exists and is a result (or manifests itself) of a survival mechanism probably the best place to look for it is in something close to the bottom of the food chain. Maybe even an insect like a silverfish/cockroach or something?

btw: the rabbit picture is interesting
Doc
#28
Jul20-03, 01:33 PM
P: n/a
Ivan, I don't know what you had done to your cat at the vet, but it is possible that something he may have been given affected his vision. Maybe he 'saw something' in his upper field of vision that naturally wasn't there. But the cat doesn't know this, he though it was a grand oppurtunity to chase something he had never seen before. He was maybe so preoccupied with it that he ran into the door. I have seen cats in similar situations where they seem so concentrated on something that they become unaware of some of their surroundings. They can get pretty crazy compared to the seemingly lazy, laid back beings that they usually are.
Ivan Seeking
Ivan Seeking is offline
#29
Jul20-03, 07:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ivan Seeking's Avatar
P: 12,493
Originally posted by Doc
Ivan, I don't know what you had done to your cat at the vet, but it is possible that something he may have been given affected his vision. Maybe he 'saw something' in his upper field of vision that naturally wasn't there. But the cat doesn't know this, he though it was a grand oppurtunity to chase something he had never seen before. He was maybe so preoccupied with it that he ran into the door. I have seen cats in similar situations where they seem so concentrated on something that they become unaware of some of their surroundings. They can get pretty crazy compared to the seemingly lazy, laid back beings that they usually are.
Sorry, I think my story got a little twisted. The cat that went to the vet never came home [in mortal form at least [:D]]. This was THE trip to the vet for our beloved Mr. Dirt. The other cat was at home - Einstein. He never left home but acted so very strangely right after we returned from having Dirt put down.

I don't mean to argue that no other explanations exist. But IMHO, to ignore these events as not even potentially significant is nothing short of intellectual dishonesty. These events were very striking. I have had cats my entire life and I am pretty familiar with normal cat behavior. I have had Einstein for almost 13 years and this was a completely unique episode. He has never acted like this at any other time.

For years people would catch their cats staring wildly at the walls. For years people thought that cats were imagining things or hallucinating. I read several explanations that focused on cat brain structures, and optical effects causing false images, and some suggestions were made that cats get a little nuts as they age. Someone finally realized that the cats can somehow track mice and rats in the wall. I donít know if this is by some infrared effect, or if this is by sound, but they weren't hallucinating; they were just two steps ahead of us.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
Do you believe in ghosts? General Discussion 219
methylated spirits General Discussion 2
Science with Ghosts OR Religion with Ghosts General Discussion 56
Spirits soar at conclave on UFOs, paranormal General Discussion 0