Pneumatic Circuit Doubt: Understanding Force and Pressure in Pneumatic Systems

In summary: In summary, the actuator will exert a force based on the pressure of the compressed air in the tank. The tank needs to be sized appropriately to account for the amount of air the system will require. The compressor that charges the tank should be running only intermittently, not continuously.
ukesh
Hello,
I"m designing an pneumatic circuit. I have an doubt regarding the force exerted by the actuator. The maximum pressure which I will be using is 8 bar (approximately 116 PSI). The compressed air will be stored an air tank. The tank will be connected to the regulator, then the valve and then finally the actuator (pneumatic cylinder, single acing,spring return). The circuit is an open loop system. Initially the pressure inside the cylinder will be at 8bar. when the valve is opened, the air from the tank flows through the circuit and actuates the cylinder. when the valve is closed the air inside the cylinder comes out as exhaust. Here comes my doubt, since some amount of air is released from the tank for one actuation (stroke), will pressure inside the cylinder reduce for the next actuation? If the pressure reduces, automatically the force provided by the cylinder reduces. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The job of the regulator is to maintain a constant pressure downstream (assuming it is not a back pressure regulator). The only time you should see a reduction in pressure is if the mass of air in the tank and the system is inadequate to produce that required pressure.

If your tank is sized properly or your compressed air source that charges the tank is timed properly to maintain the pressure in the tank, you should have no issues.

If your tank is sized properly or your compressed air source that charges the tank is timed properly to maintain the pressure in the tank, you should have no issues.

What do u mean by sizing of the tank? And should the compressor, which charges the tank, be continuously running?

The only time you should see a reduction in pressure is if the mass of air in the tank and the system is inadequate to produce that required pressure.

So, if the tank is fully charged and actuation is made once, Since this is an open loop system, the mass of air inside the cylinder reduces rite?

ukesh said:
What do u mean by sizing of the tank? And should the compressor, which charges the tank, be continuously running?
I mean that if you are running off of a compressed air tank (which you said you were doing) the tank needs to store an amount of air that can accommodate the size/volume of your system based on the flowrates and pressures you hope to operate at.

ukesh said:
So, if the tank is fully charged and actuation is made once, Since this is an open loop system, the mass of air inside the cylinder reduces rite?
Yes. You will need to replace that mass of air required by your system for that one actuation. Your tank size will dictate how many cycles you can get before the amount in the tank is insufficient to maintain the system pressure.

Sir, I'm new to designing pneumatic circuits. Can you tell me how to calculate the number of cycles? And during the cycle, will the force exerted by the piston be same, I mean constant?

It is hard to design a pneumatic system “site unseen.” Either you need to employ someone fanilar with designing pneumatic systems (recommended), or get into the books and spend time familarizing yourself with a pneumatic systems.

The first book covers the basics with some design information. The second book listed (free) covers more design starting page 410, chapter 10. The third site under pneumatics gives the basics.

As for running full time – no it should start and stop no more than 20 times an hour. http://www.parker.com/training/descript.asp?GroupID=1&SectionID=1&ProductID=22
http://www.scribd.com/doc/10512227/Fluid-Power-Circuits-and-Controls-Fundamentals-and-Applications
http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/FPE/IndexPage.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a pneumatic circuit?

A pneumatic circuit is a system that uses compressed air to control and operate various mechanical processes. It typically consists of a compressor, valves, actuators, and connecting pipes.

2. What is the purpose of a pneumatic circuit?

The purpose of a pneumatic circuit is to control and automate mechanical processes in a safe and efficient manner. Compressed air is used as the power source to move and control various components, allowing for precise and repetitive movements.

3. How does a pneumatic circuit work?

A pneumatic circuit works by using a compressor to compress air, which is then stored in a reservoir. The compressed air is then directed through valves and into actuators, which convert the air pressure into mechanical motion to perform a specific task.

4. What are the advantages of using a pneumatic circuit?

There are several advantages to using a pneumatic circuit, including low cost, reliability, and safety. Pneumatic systems are also easy to maintain and can operate at high speeds, making them ideal for use in many industrial applications.

5. What are some common applications of pneumatic circuits?

Pneumatic circuits have a wide range of applications, including in manufacturing, packaging, automotive, and medical industries. Some common uses include operating machinery, controlling robotic arms, and powering air tools.